Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Novice

Re: BOTM 1/11: J.T.S. Brown BIB

Quote Originally Posted by Barrel_Proof View Post
    This is the first time the phrase "sweet cream tea" has been used on the board and I confess to having not a clue to what it means. Is it akin to the $1 sweet tea I see advertised at the junk food places? Do people add cream to that? Sounds as abominable as it must taste, if so.
    I group them together, because it really kind of just rolls all together for me, rather than being separate and distinct sweet notes, and cream notes, and mild tea notes. Basically you have a a cream note, with just a hint of sweetness; just a hint, amped up a smidge by a light bit of integrated vanilla. The cream sometimes has just a bit of dried field corn that pops in and out. Then added to that a mild black tea note, like what you get when you pour cream into a cup of black tea, it brings down the "volume" on the nose and rounds it out at the same time.

This combination pops out to me in all HH whiskeys until they get old enough that it disappears, much like Beam's grain notes, or Old Forester's "blonde wood" notes. It is only just there in the 2001 EWSB, just as OF's "blonde wood" note in the 2000, and only on days that my nose is behaving itself.

Taster

Angry Re: BOTM 1/11: J.T.S. Brown BIB

Not here in PA
    To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable.
    Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)

Guru

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream_tea

In England, it refers to a dish of scones w/clotted cream served with hot tea. When I hear that discriptor, I think of the creaminess of the tea and the dry sweetness of the scones and the light tannic bitterness of a fairly week black tea.

All that said, I have never gotten it out of JTS Brown. I get it the most out of Blanton's.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

There is only one store in Wisconsin who special orders J.T.S Brown, and only the 80proof, so I can't get the BIB. It's just okay, low-grade HH. Some corn, some mint, some allspice. For $9.99, I can't complain.

It really kicks into gear, however, late at night while watching the Hustler.(Just got the DVD after having not seen it in years.) It's the only way to drink it.

Virtuoso

I (just got in) and opened a bottle of 80 proof (the BIB was sold out). Actually, in the same order, we got "Yellow Rose of Texas". Opened YROT first. A little shocked by the cloudy milky yaller color. The nose was simple sweet. Taste was like the sweet iced tea my mom used to make by the gallons in the Illinois summer. No punch, no nothing. Pulled out the JTS Brown 80, same light color, cloudy, but not as cloudy as the Y-ROT. Gave it a pour. Almost the same sweet 'milk tea' taste. And it wasn't dirt cheap like the Y-ROT. We, me and my wife (and tasting partner), decided we'd better have a pour OGD 86 just to get the taste of bourbon into our mouths. BTW, both the Y-ROT and the JTS Brown were made for the Japanese market (back labels are loaded with Japanese). The JTS claims to be 6 years old. I don't think so. In fact, I think it's highly likely that Heaven Hill filled both of these bottles from the same batch and just slapped a different label of them.

Is this possible? Anyone know? Chuck, how about a crotchety moment?

When it comes to whiskey, I'm hardly jaded (Early Times KSBW is just fine with me) but I won't buy another one of these again.

....' course I'll probably finish 'em ...

but no more after they're gone
    Peace, ... and Hippy Love.

Advanced Taster

Just found a JTSB BIB. Got it to have the funny label on the bar, and it turns out the bottle I bought has a crooked label (I should study these things while still in the store). I'm not a fan of the HH product, and fancy wheaters, so didn't expect to love this. Goes down kinda harshly (not necessarily a bad thing) and has a bit of an "off" finish (doesn't last long, though). I mostly sip and don't mix much, and this won't be a sipping whiskey I'll reach for very often. Tastes like cheap bourbon but wasn't very cheap--I paid $20 for the 750-ml bottle. IMHO there are many better bourbons in this price range.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I'd probably feel that way at $20 too, but at the $8 I paid last time I bought it, JTS Brown BIB tastes great.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I'd probably feel that way at $20 too, but at the $8 I paid last time I bought it, JTS Brown BIB tastes great.
    Burned by Binny.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    Burned by Binny.
    Was that the on-shelf price or after taxes?

I would never pay more than $10 for it or reach for it over VOB BiB or HH White Label BiB.

Caveat Emptor.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

$19.99 on the shelf, and with the fed/state/county/city taxes, more than $22 out the door. I'd never been to the famed South Loop Binny's, and was stuck on the ramp from the Stevenson to the northbound Ryan, heading for the Edens (if you know Chicago expressways), so took the Roosevelt exit to "flyover" to 90/94, and there was Binny's. So I stopped, and since I was there, had to buy something, and since they had no Pappy or anything else on my wish list.... Label is cool, though.