Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: BOTM 1/11: J.T.S. Brown BIB

Picked up a bottle at Liquor Barn last night. I found it surprisingly good. Nutty, minty, great mouthfeel, I put it on the same pedestal as VOB BIB as far as value goes. Had it on the rocks while at the neighbor's and neat at home today. I would choose this over Evan Williams Black Label any day of the week (although maybe the Evan Williams BIB is similar, but I've never had it.)
    Last edited by nblair; 01-08-2011 at 17:12.

Trippah and Admin

I like this as a value pour. Nobody is going to mistake it for EWSB, but I find it to be very drinkable straight or on the rocks.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    I like this as a value pour. Nobody is going to mistake it for EWSB, but I find it to be very drinkable straight or on the rocks.
    Never tried it.Maybe someday

Enthusiast

If you had to pick one- between VOB BIB and JTS brown BIB- what would be your value/bulk buy?

Enthusiast

sorry if that's a little off topic. I mean no disrespect to the botm selection.

Guru

I've been looking for JTS Brown BIB for several years, mostly due to the fact that a friend of mine thinks it's a "fictional" bourbon that doesn't really exist, other than in the movie "The Hustler." I finally came across a dozen bottles at the South Loop Binny's only to discover that they were all the 80 proof expression, so I passed on them. Someday I'll get the BIB in hand and drop one off on my buddy's doorstep--he'll certainly be surprised. (And I'll stick one on the bar for myself, of course.)
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

I'm happy to say JTS Brown is available in Indiana. It seems like it's one of those brands like OWA 107 as far as availability goes. The stores that stock it go through spans of time without any on the shelves. The best way I could describe JTS Brown BIB is at 100 proof, it tastes like a very mild 80 proof bourbon. It has a nice mouth feel, tastes mostly like corn, not much rye, or oak.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

It's a very good budget pour. Very nice flavor, and very much like the Evan Williams BIB's, if you've ever tried them. It/they have a very nice unsweetended dark chocolatey/cocoa thing going on, that I find very drinkable. These expressions of HH's BIB's have won a special place in my heart over the last couple of years, as I find all of them to be extremely nice whiskies, at a very reasonable price.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by trumpstylz View Post
    If you had to pick one- between VOB BIB and JTS brown BIB- what would be your value/bulk buy?
    I don't have a bottle of VOB BIB at home right now to compare, but I'd split it 50/50 if I was stocking up. IMO they are both better than some bourbons that sell for twice the price.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by nblair View Post
    I don't have a bottle of VOB BIB at home right now to compare, but I'd split it 50/50 if I was stocking up. IMO they are both better than some bourbons that sell for twice the price.
    Thanks- exactly what I was wondering!