Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Tom's Foolery tasting

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    I gotta put in a plug for Oregon's own, Clear Creek.

Their apple brandy comes in two age choices. The two-year-old (OR price $25.45) is very fresh, with pronounced apple aromas and flavors. It's great on the rocks, or combined with Martinelli sparkling apple cider. My wife also cooks with it.

The eight-year-old ($40.45) is serious stuff, and worthy competition for Calvados.
    I love Clear Creeks products. Had a great time there when I visited.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X_-XmjFC2A

the problem with Laird's true Apple product there is good looking finding it. I've never seen it ANYwhere.
    Visit the search for glory in the bottle: http://imbibehour.blogspot.com/
    My video reviews http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...16DDF465CBC112

Apprentice

I just tried Starlight's AppleJack, not too bad but nothing to rave over. Like Chuck said it did not have a very apple character but it was smooth, what really aggravated me mostly is they used a wine cork to seal the bottle and it is a pain to put back in and keep in my cabinet, I know whiner but hey it's a valid gripe.

Advanced Taster

I got myself a bottle of Tom's Foolery Applejack a little while ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. It didn't remind me much of calvados, which I have also had. I got a lot more apple in the nose of this spirit than in the actual taste, but maybe that was just me.

Advanced Taster

Apparently Tom's Foolery just released their second batch of AppleJack to the state warehouse. This time it looks to be sealed with gold wax instead of red, at least judging by the pictures. They are also going to start distilling bourbon soon, as they just upgraded or are in the process of upgrading their equipment.
    Last edited by cbus; 09-06-2011 at 10:46.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cbus View Post
    Apparently Tom's Foolery just released their second batch of AppleJack to the state warehouse. This time it looks to be sealed with gold wax instead of red, at least judging by the pictures. They are also going to start distilling bourbon soon, as they just upgraded or are in the process of upgrading their equipment.
    Are there blue wax and gold foil expressions in the works too?
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

Well, we all know it's what is inside the bottle that counts. On that note, the bourbon will be a "traditional" mash bill with rye as the "spice" grain.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Although Tom and Lianne don't let grass grow under their feet, they aren't that close to barreling their first batch of bourbon.

They also plan to use local corn and mill it at the distillery. (Many other 'craft' distillers don't mill themselves.)

They didn't so much change the wax color as change the type of wax they were using for improved performance and it happens to be a different color. They're not planning to do a color key thing, although now the first release will be distinctive.

Here's a pic of the new batch before it went out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Disciple

Nice pic Chuck.

Any word on how many bottles this run?
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

No idea............

Connoisseur

I spoke with Tom last week and he is getting close. And when he is running I am going to see it. He is getting his ducks in a row the right way, and will be able to make a good product. Nice guy too. Chuck, wonder why so few mill their own grain. We just put in a new hammer mill and auger system. I can imagine buying ground grain is prohibitive cost wise.