Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Talking Let's discuss value - Best Booze Under X

Ok, here's one thing I notice here....we discuss price, we discuss value, we discuss flavor, but we rarely ever see any discussion or listing of people's fave juice under given price points...so, let's do it. This is for bourbon only, but I will do this in the Rye group as well....

I want you to give me your personal fave picks for bourbon under 6 distinct price points...ready? Hopefully this will work for a way for some folks to see new suggestions of great stuff and to get inspiration.... I'll start (All prices should INCLUDE sales tax, this is the final purchase price here, folks)

Under $20 - I'm a bitch, I don't like any bourbon under $20....except maybe Ancient Age? I dunno, there's not a lot to choose from here in LA that's under $20....suggestions appreciated!

$21-30 - Buffalo Trace. Why? Cuz. Makes great mixers, and can be had neat or on the rocks...and just delivers value like a champion. Love it. (Quick shout out to Bulleitt as my 2nd place finisher, we're really good homies still, aight?)

$31-45 - Ezra B 12 yr single barrel - my intro to single barrel bourbon, this was my gateway bourbon that brought me into this whole obsession. Every time I have it, it brings me back to that moment...always nice, and typically about $35/bottle, on the bottom of this range.

$46-60. Here we have the sweet spot - you can get almost any booze you want in this range that's decent, but not the top flight stuff, all the goodies are here like Rockhill Farms, BMH, Pappy 15 (in some places)..... My pick - Blanton's Single Barrel. Best bottle design EVER (I call it the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch,) and it's the single barrel bourbon that kicked off the entire small batch craze...for $50, how can you argue against it?!?!?!

$61-80 - Stagg. Duh.

$81-Whatever - Pappy 20. Again, duh. I don't, as a rule, spend over $100 on a bottle of booze.....and Stagg costs less than $80, so it gotta be the 20.

Add on! Oh, and please, let's keep this discussion to current products, I don't give a damn that you picked up a dusty of Old Forester from '85 and it cost $12, and you think I should try it. Sorry, padna, that ain't relevant.

Connoisseur

Re: Let's discuss value - Best Booze Under X

Too many to list @ $20++...

Under $20 IMHO, you can't go wrong with OGD BIB, EC12 or OWA.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Halifax View Post
    Too many to list @ $20++...

Under $20 IMHO, you can't go wrong with OGD BIB, EC12 or OWA.
    I'll have to give this whole list thing some thought. But EC12 and OWA
    for under $20?!? Man, I'm looking at $26-$28 for EC12 these days and OWA is now a solid $22+. Bummer for me but extremely glad for you!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Disciple

I'll play along.

Under $20: OGD BIB and VOB BIB. No surprises.

$21-$30: Antique, WT101, OGD114.

$31-$45: Weller12, WTRB, FRSB, ETL, ORVW107, EC18(On certain days.).

$46-$60: RHF, WTKS, Vintage Bourbon 17yr.

$61-$80: GTS, WLW, Pappy 15.

$81plus: FRSB2009LE, Pappy 20, and AH Hirsch 16.

Virtuoso

I don't think in that many categories.

Under 20: AAA10
    20-30: Weller 12 / EWSB / ETL
    30-50: WTRB
    50+: Pappy 15 / GTS

90% of my bourbon purchases are in the $20-30 range.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Apprentice

I guess I am lucky. I can get WL Weller Special Reserve for less than $20. so:

<20 WL Weller Special Reserve
    20-30 Bulleitt
    30-50 WT Rare Breed
    50+ Pappy

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by chperry View Post
    I guess I am lucky. I can get WL Weller Special Reserve for less than $20. so:

<20 WL Weller Special Reserve
    20-30 Bulleitt
    30-50 WT Rare Breed
    50+ Pappy
    I think I'm even luckier: I can get Weller 12 now for $20 + tax!

I'll play, but I'll also cheat with more than one answer for each

Under 20: Evan Williams Black or Ritt BIB (I'll stick this here since I haven't had enough ryes to do this same game on the rye thread).
    21-30: Weller 12 or ETL
    31-45: Jack Daniels Single Barrel. I was converted to this by a fellow SB'er. Here's hoping the other barrels are as good as his. I'd also add JDSB's cousin, Woodford Reserve. I know this stuff is little like the wannabe little brother around here, but when it's good, it's great, I think. Sweet without being coy, rich and a great nose.
    46-60: PVW 15... Though I'm trying to remember if the last bottle I bought was maybe a touch over 60. Can't recall.
    61-80: WLW Antique Collection. I've only had one glass of this in a bar, but it was great. Finally located a bottle, but not yet opened.
    81-Whatever. PVW 20.

Disciple

My favorites, while ignoring price points (I have worked diligently for almost 27 years so that I don't need to worry about booze budgeting) are WTRR101, Weller 12 and Hancocks Reserve. There are others I also like, but these 3 are plums on my taste buds!

Thomas

Guru

The first one has me stumped, under 20?
    WT 101 here in MI is $19.97 but the 6% sales tax elimitates that.
    MI doesn't have AAA but the next time I am in KY I need to pick one up because it gets a lot of love here on SB.com.
    ovh

Apprentice

Great thread...

Under 20: AAA10 and Jim Beam Distiller's Series (I picked up several bottles when Sam's Club was selling them at $10/piece
    21-30: WLW12
    31-50: ORVW10yr107, Lot B, RHF
    51 +: Pretty much just stock up on Pappy when I see it. Still wasn't able to locate any GTS or WLW