Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Rye Value - What's the best pour under X?

Reposting this here in the Rye area, as I have it in the bourbon discussion....and I like the debate for rye better, anyway.

Ok, here's one thing I notice here....we discuss price, we discuss value, we discuss flavor, but we rarely ever see any discussion or listing of people's fave juice under given price points...so, let's do it. This is for rye only....

I want you to give me your personal fave picks for rye under 6 distinct price points...ready? Hopefully this will work for a way for some folks to see new suggestions of great stuff and to get inspiration.... I'll start (All prices should INCLUDE sales tax, this is the final purchase price here, folks)

Under $20 - Pikesville, no question. How can you beat a good, mixable rye that actually has character and flavor (Beam Rye and Overholt, please see yourself out of this conversation) for under $20? Pikesville is awesome.

$21-30 - Rittenhouse BiB, again, no questions. The big brother to the Pikesville, we have discussed this booze to death...and there's a reason. I am thrilled to have gotten a case of it while I can, cuz it's gone off shelves in LA for the year already.

$31-45 - This is sort of a gap group in rye...not a lot of variety at this price point....since LA costs so freaking much, I am going to cheat and say Baby Saz, cuz a bottle here in LA is about $35. That being said, I still like Rittenhouse BiB BETTER.

$46-60 - Again, there is a bit of lapse in the market for this price point...I think the only rye I have that would fit this bill is R1, but I dunno....I never buy that crap....suggestions? I think some of y'all can find Van Winkle Reserve Rye for about this price point, right? I wouldn't know, as I have yet to ever see a single bottle of that stuff on the shelf....ever.

$61-80 - Tough one. Do you go with Saz 18 or the Handy? How do you choose between 2 amazing products? I gotta say......Saz 18. My personal favorite rye in the entire world, at any price point.

$81-Whatever - Well, this rye is not as good to me as either Handy or Saz 18, but it fits the price point (again, LA is expensive)...so I am going to say Whistlepig Rye as my choice. I met Yuri Kato, their marketing manager, and Dave at the LA WhiskyFest, which was rad, and I like this enough that I have bought a bottle of it....but I don't think I will be buying too much more of it, that is, of course, until my Saz 18 and Handy supplies run out! It's big and bold, very grain driven with some sweetness at the end...a good product, but a tough price.

So...add on! Thoughts? Let's see where this heads!

Virtuoso

Re: Rye Value - What's the best pour under X?

You're getting ripped off on the Baby Saz, Hi-Time has it for $25. Here are my picks:

Under $20: Pikesville or Wild Turkey 101.

$21-30: Baby Saz

$31-45: As you say, sort of a gap; can't really think of anything great in that neighborhood. Templeton and Hudson are in the range, but I can't say I'd recommend either of them.

$46-60: No contest: High West Rendezvous Rye.

$61-$80: Agree that it's a tough one between Saz 18 and Handy (and WhistlePig to boot). I concur with you that in the end, I'd got with Saz 18.

$81-on. Again, I think you're paying too much. WhistlePig is around $70 at Hi-Time. In this range, I would go with Rittenhouse 23, but I haven't tried the Rittenhouse 25 yet. Also, some of the old Black Maple Hill 23 year old rye was fantastic and High West 16 is also very good.

Disciple

Under $20: Pikesville, Ritt80, and Fleischmann's. (Sku, if you can get WTRye101 for under $20, I hate you.)

$21-$30: RittBIB, WTRye101. (I just can't accept the medicinal finish on Baby Saz.)

$31-$45: Willet 2yr Indiana Cask Strength.

$46-$60: Handy, VWFRR.

$61-$80: Saz 18yr. While I'm often critical of this bottling, I do drink it. What's a Rye lover to do with so few offering?

$80plus: The true sweet spot. Vintage 21yr, BMH 23yr, Hirsch 22 and 25yr. (Maybe in 2011 I'll finally pop for a Ritt21yr behind the wife's financial back. Right after I buy a Pappy 23.) Humchan, if you have not had any of these over 20yr Ryes, do so asap. I think your love of Saz18 will quickly fade. (They're not cheap, but good things cost money.)

Disciple

My picks are Rittenhouse BIB, WT and if you want to go a step up, Sazerac. I'm not much nto the older ryes!

Thomas

Apprentice

Under 20: ??
    21-30: RittBIB and Baby Saz
    31-45: Michter's Single Barrel (I think this is darn tasty for $35)
    46-60: VWFRR...no question
    60+: Rittenhouse 23 yr is the only rye I've had at this price point, but it was excellent!

Virtuoso

Under $20: Pikesville is a bargain

$21-$30: Baby Saz

$31-$45: Ri (is a decent $20 bottle of rye being sold for much more than it should cost) WTRRR (also way overpriced but tasty none the less)

$46-$60: VWFRR.

$61-$80: Saz 18yr., Handy, High West 16, High West Rezendezvous, the new High West 2/16.

$80plus: So many good ones - BMH 23, Vintage 21 and 23, High West 21, Ritt 21, Old Portrero Hotelings, Rathskeller or Willett (same juice as the BMH and Vintage but at barrel strength)

Novice

I have to play here, I love rye.

Under $20: Rittenhouse BIB, no question

$21-$30: There's rye available in this price range?

$31-$45: See $21-30.

$46-$60: Handy. Although in my world (SoCal) Handy costs $75 +, I put it here because it's truly spectacular, I think I'll pour some right now, and I need to make room for...

$61-$80: VWFRR, which is nectar of the gods. I buy every bottle of this I can find and bunker half of them. When the zombies march toward our inevitable doom, I'll toast the end with VWFR Rye. (I cannot wait until fresh, non-tanked VWFFR becomes available.)

$80 plus: Rittenhouse 21. OMG, that's incredible whiskey. I have yet to pull the trigger on a bottle of 23, at $165. Ouch. But the 21, that's special occasion delish.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    $31-$45: Ri (is a decent $20 bottle of rye being sold for much more than it should cost) WTRRR (also way overpriced but tasty none the less)
    Ri is priced at $19.99 at all Specs in Houston. Actually it is $24.99, but $5 off with Spec's key (free - frequent shopper program). The priced was changed to this 4-5 months ago with note saying $5 off expired 12-31. That date came and went and $5 off is still valid, so I'm thinking this now permanent price in Houston.

3 years ago, before all the trendy bartenders discovered Rye, Rittenhouse BIB was under $15......

Connoisseur

Wild Turkey Rye $16

Quote Originally Posted by mrmountainhop View Post
    I have to play here, I love rye.

Under $20: Rittenhouse BIB, no question

The fact that you can do this right here is just retarded.....it's $26 out west, and it comes one a year, like Kwanzaa.

$21-$30: There's rye available in this price range?

Yep.

$31-$45: See $21-30.

Again, yep.

$46-$60: Handy. Although in my world (SoCal) Handy costs $75 +, I put it here because it's truly spectacular, I think I'll pour some right now, and I need to make room for...

Yes, yes you do.

$61-$80: VWFRR, which is nectar of the gods. I buy every bottle of this I can find and bunker half of them. When the zombies march toward our inevitable doom, I'll toast the end with VWFR Rye. (I cannot wait until fresh, non-tanked VWFFR becomes available.)

I can't find this in Cali, where have you been looking?

$80 plus: Rittenhouse 21. OMG, that's incredible whiskey. I have yet to pull the trigger on a bottle of 23, at $165. Ouch. But the 21, that's special occasion delish.
    I can be over in 10.