Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Taster

Re: Rye Value - What's the best pour under X?

Fun topic.

<$20: Rittenhouse BiB. If this were more readily available, I'd have no reason to pop for Overholt.

$21-$30: WT 101. A real rye bargain. It may be an unpopular opinion, but I prefer the spiciness of WT to Ritt BiB (or maybe I'm swayed by the fact that WT Rye is ubiquitous here).

$31-$45: This is a weird price point for ryes. I once paid ~30 for Baby Saz. Wouldn't jump at it again at that price. Michter's just doesn't do it for me at this or any other price.

$46-$60: VWFRR. Tastes much older than its labeled 13 yrs, which if I understand correctly, it is (or once was). Just hope they don't start pricing it like an older rye.

$61-$80: Toss up between Handy and Saz 18, depending if I want the aggressiveness of the former or the utter drinkability of the latter. I probably lean more towards the 18, but the dearth of it around Dallas has made me grown to appreciate Handy, which never seems in short supply here.

$80<: Another toss up: Ritt 21 or Hirsch 22, both of which are stellar ryes. Paid over $100 for each of them and never questioned whether they were worth it. They are.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by roostercogburn View Post
    Fun topic.

$21-$30: WT 101. A real rye bargain. It may be an unpopular opinion, but I prefer the spiciness of WT to Ritt BiB (or maybe I'm swayed by the fact that WT Rye is ubiquitous here).
    I don't know what the hell ubiquitous means, but you got good taste. Turkey Rye is a great value.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by roostercogburn View Post
    Fun topic.

<$20: Rittenhouse BiB. If this were more readily available, I'd have no reason to pop for Overholt.

Nice post, Rooster. I'm with you on pretty much every point. And as much as I enjoy my VWFRR and Handy Sazerac/Saz 18 (and Michter's 10, not the US1), I drink far more WT Rye and Rittenhouse BIB which I enjoy equally, depending upon my mood. Whenever either one approaches the empty bottle range, I replace them ASAP. Great rye at even greater prices IMO.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

At the risk of turning this into an echo chamber (I mean seriously, where else do you find this much agreement?) I'll post my thoughts.

<$15: Beam. I like it a lot. Most of the bottles I've bought recently have been in the "pretty good even without considering the price" category. One was even in the great category-- only lasted 4 days. Really the only other cheap rye I can find consistently here is Overholt and I'm not a huge fan.

$15-20: WT 101 Rye. Rittenhouse BiB is getting both more expensive and harder to find, and with WT right at the $20 mark most places I don't even hesitate.

$20-30: WT 101 Rye, again. Baby Sazerac is very good--but it's almost as if it's too perfect, to my taste. I prefer the Turkey.

$30 +: I'm a cheapskate so I've found no reason to spring for rye in this price range (other than occasionally at a bar) when I'm perfectly happy with the cheaper stuff.

Basically it comes down to mood-- sometimes the Beam sweetness fits the bill, otherwise, it's WT.

Enthusiast

$30 +: I'm a cheapskate so I've found no reason to spring for rye in this price range (other than occasionally at a bar) when I'm perfectly happy with the cheaper stuff.

You should really try one though. The VWFRR is something special. Treat your self to one just because you deserve it.

I would say that in the under 20 range would be Rittenhouse BIB, as I paid 18 and some change for it. I am not sure if I will ever pay close to that again.

In the 20 to 30 range would definitely go to Wild Turkey 101. Sadly I have not yet bought a bottle of baby Saz to compare it too. But I have tried it in a bar.

Then I jump up to the 40 to 70 Range, and there are 3 contenders here Thomas Handy, VWFRR, and Saz 18. It is a really close choice between the Handy and the VW. But in the end VWFRR edges it out.

Now for the the "Best of the Bunch" I would roll it back to where we started. Ritt BIB, when you factor in the value plus taste.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Binny's has a good stock of Rittenhouse BIB and with this weekend's 15% discount, just $17.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Nice post, Rooster. I'm with you on pretty much every point. And as much as I enjoy my VWFRR and Handy Sazerac/Saz 18 (and Michter's 10, not the US1), I drink far more WT Rye and Rittenhouse BIB which I enjoy equally, depending upon my mood. Whenever either one approaches the empty bottle range, I replace them ASAP. Great rye at even greater prices IMO.

Couldn't agree more. Though the great ryes are uber-expensive (and darn hard to find!), rye drinkers do have it made with cheap, available offerings like the Ritt BiB and WT rye that don't sacrifice anything in terms of enjoyment for their humble prices. I probably go through 2 bottles each of those two for every bottle of the 18+ yr range.

Taster

Great idea for a Rye topic! Rye is a marvelous value for now....

Under $20 - Pikesville, no question. Great flavor but unavailable here in Atlanta. Luckily, I can find my favorite everyday Rye: WT 101 for right at $20! I can get Pikesville when I go to McScrooge's in Knoxville.

$21-30 - Rittenhouse BiB, but again, not often available here. When I see it, I buy it. I'm down to my last bottle so I need to start looking. Right now I have to say for this price it would have to be a big bottle of Bulleit 95% Rye. Love the flavor so I'm drinking a lot of this stuff!

$31-45 - High West Rendezvous Rye. I just found a bottle of the Double Rye so I haven't tasted it yet. I plan to do a testing of the LDI rye offerings (Bulleit, High West, and Templeton) sometime next week.

$46-60 - If I EVER find Van Winkle Reserve Rye for this price point, I will buy all they have of it. It's probably my second favorite rye of all.

$61-80 - Definately the Sazerac 18yo Rye. I'm not as fond of the TW Handy but will buy it when I find it. When I find the Saz 18 I will buy all they have! My personal favorite rye at any price.

$81-Whatever - Since we don't get Whistlepig (is it really THAT expensive?) there isn't a rye here in this price range.

Virtuoso

I will amend my earlier post to say that, despite being a cheapskate, I would probably spring for another bottle of Saz 18, now that I have one. I haven't tried Handy or VWFRR but I'm guessing that I would love them both... may try to grab a Handy soon.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    I will amend my earlier post to say that, despite being a cheapskate, I would probably spring for another bottle of Saz 18, now that I have one. I haven't tried Handy or VWFRR but I'm guessing that I would love them both... may try to grab a Handy soon.
    I enjoy both Handy and Saz 18, but VWFRR is like crack to me.