Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Rye Value - What's the best pour under X?

Quote Originally Posted by Zanaspus View Post
    As a brand new rye lover, I can't believe Bulleit gets no love. If there's lots of bottles better than that in a reasonable (<$60) price range I may just end up never buying anything but rye whiskey!
    I love Bulleit Rye - it has become my 'go to' rye of late. It has a plenty of character and I enjoy it both neat and in a Manhattan. And at $25 for a 750ml bottle (& $33 for a 1L bottle), here in MI, it is a great value. (And many others also find it to be very good.)

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by STLbourbon View Post
    ... I hope to dive into some of this High West stuff soon and see what that's all about. But for affordable and very good ryes, I think Bulleit and Rittenhouse are top choices for sure.

STLb
    High West Rendezvous Rye is EXCELLENT, and Templeton Rye is very good. But at ~$50 for the High West / ~$40 for Templeton, they are not in the under $30 category. Unfortunately, they are not available here in MI and find that I'm out of both. I've heard great things about some of the other High West ryes (such as the Double Rye) and hope to snag some on a future out of state trip.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Shell View Post
    High West Rendezvous Rye is EXCELLENT, and Templeton Rye is very good. But at ~$50 for the High West / ~$40 for Templeton, they are not in the under $30 category. Unfortunately, they are not available here in MI and find that I'm out of both. I've heard great things about some of the other High West ryes (such as the Double Rye) and hope to snag some on a future out of state trip.
    Templeton Rye is the same LDI juice that Bulleit is, and Bulleit is higher in proof, yet Templeton is higher in price.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Bulleit is still pretty new, just released this year, so I don't think it's lacking in love, just people haven't gotten to it yet.

Redemption Rye is the same stuff too, though a bit younger.

I wonder if the jig may finally be up for Templeton.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Redemption Rye is the same stuff too, though a bit younger.
    I have long been under the impression that Templeton was the OLDEST of the LDI branded Ryes - that Redemption was the youngest, Bulleit in the middle, and Templeton was the oldest?

Is that not correct?

Advanced Taster

I love Bulleit Rye - it has become my 'go to' rye of late. ...
    Sazerac Rye (no age statement) would be my 'go-to' rye. However, I dip into my Sazerac Rye on hand very sparingly - since it's in limited supply, and the retail liquor stores (here in MI) only have a few available bottles roughly twice per year.

Enthusiast

Sazerac Rye (no age statement) would be my 'go-to' rye.
    I couldn't choose between:

WTR 101
    Ritt BIB
    Saz Jr
    Bulleit Rye

All are unique and enjoyable as under $25 bottles go (hard to get below $25 with baby Saz, though). Heck, I often get Ritt, Turkey & Bulleit under $20.

And I'd choose them over a huge number of $30+ Bourbons, quite happily (and I do!).

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    I have long been under the impression that Templeton was the OLDEST of the LDI branded Ryes - that Redemption was the youngest, Bulleit in the middle, and Templeton was the oldest?

Is that not correct?
    Why are you under that impression? Was it something Scott Bush said? Both Bulleit and Templeton are NAS, and they both claim 5, but taste like 4. Redemption lists 2, and Willett lists age, be it 2, 3, or 4 depending on the bottling.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Why are you under that impression? Was it something Scott Bush said? Both Bulleit and Templeton are NAS, and they both claim 5, but taste like 4. Redemption lists 2, and Willett lists age, be it 2, 3, or 4 depending on the bottling.
    I recall at a Binny's tasting - maybe 2 years ago in Chicago that the rep told me that Templeton was 6 years+...

I believe Bulleit to be 4-5, and as you note Redemption is 2 years young.

I also think the Templeton tastes a bit more mature than the others - but could just be price-tag pyschology (since it's a $35-$40 bottle when you can actually find it anywhere...).

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    I recall at a Binny's tasting - maybe 2 years ago in Chicago that the rep told me that Templeton was 6 years+...

I believe Bulleit to be 4-5, and as you note Redemption is 2 years young.

I also think the Templeton tastes a bit more mature than the others - but could just be price-tag pyschology (since it's a $35-$40 bottle when you can actually find it anywhere...).
    The funny thing is that the Willett tastes the oldest to me, but that may be due to the proof?? It just tastes really resolved.
    Last edited by White Dog; 12-16-2011 at 16:26.