Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

mellow corn expanding is distribution area?

It seems hh is want more people to have mellow corn. I found out this morning that it is now available in New York state. There is a store in Ithaca that has it. I love the stuff and hav never seen it outside of Kentucky and Tennesee.

Connoisseur

Re: mellow corn expanding is distribution area?

Bring it to Texas! I'm tired of going to Oklahoma to to get it. Yankees scare me.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by theDon View Post
    Bring it to Texas! I'm tired of going to Oklahoma to to get it. Yankees scare me.
    Don't you mean Okies.

I like Mellow Corn and we can even get it up here in Yankeeville(or SEE attle as my south Texas bil calls it).

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I saw it in Au Bon Marche in Paris recently (high end department store), next to some well-reputed bourbons.

Gary

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    It seems hh is want more people to have mellow corn. I found out this morning that it is now available in New York state. There is a store in Ithaca that has it.
    That is great news! What's it going for where you found it?
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Hang on. I'm still savoring the image of Mellow Corn on sale at Au Bon Marche.

Connoisseur

never heard of it, but sounds very high toned. mellow corn must be like bull in a china shop there.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Well Chuck, it runs like this. You walk through the main entrance of a vaulted and galleried 1800's building and onto to the food and wine area, first passing salesgirls offering samples of alluring French scents, then through the food area with fine charcuterie piled up and 100 cheeses or so, on through the special Fauchon section, and finally to the wine area which I walked by quickly (not really being a wine guy), and next is the whiskey area with a wall of fine malts and other Scotch whiskies and some Irish too, but then you see a shelf with American whiskies. IIRC, there were Blanton, Woodford Reserve, and Mellow Corn, and possibly a rye. Past that section is the Belgian and French beer section (with some imports beyond Belgium) where I spent the most time. Reputed the largest food department in Paris. Actually Mellow Corn fits in very well because the French appreciate artisan products and the food hall is full of them, so why not an American one?

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 01-07-2011 at 16:06.

Connoisseur

I've been tempted to try some Mellow Corn but I don't know if I'll like it. What does it taste like in comparison to bourbon??
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I urge everyone to pull the trigger on Mellow Corn if you have it available. For one thing, it's cheap (though perhaps not if you buy it at Au Bon Marche). It's not as rough as an unaged corn but still grassy and vegetal. The barrels are used so you get more tannin and other woody flavors rather than the vanilla and caramel you get from something aged in new wood. It's not something you'll drink everyday, probably. It's also pretty good in some cocktails. You can use it as you would tequila, which it tastes like a little.