Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: mellow corn expanding is distribution area?

Quote Originally Posted by HHBOURBONMAN View Post
    Only Alabama...and not a lot there, either. Every year we have one of these that Jim Murray goes off on, not that I am complaining, in the past it has been Daniel Stewart and Virgin Bourbon!

Also, we had a meeting last week and one of the topics was expansion of Mellow Corn. It is happening, not sure what markets yet and when but our sales group will be talking about this internally first.

Yay! Hopefully either PA or MD make the list!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Enthusiast

I bet bartenders in San Francisco would love to buy cases and cases of it for cocktails.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

To me, the point of Mellow Corn is the aging. Micro-distillers are missing a bet not doing an aged corn whiskey. It's a lot cheaper than bourbon because you use used barrels. I don't know if all MC is BIB, but what I have is, which means it's aged at least 4 years.

Connoisseur

There may be some corn coming along from aged barrels. You never know. Chuck, how many micros do you know of that actually make a true corn whiskey. White, not a white whiskey.

Taster

I see that Mellow Corn is available in Georgia (it's on the list) and after what I have read here about Mellow Corn, I am intrigued anough to go downtown and get a bottle tomorrow. I've seem it on the shelves and didn't know Heaven Hill made it. Do they make Georgia Moon as well?

Ray in Atlanta

Virtuoso

Yes, they make Georgia Moon (it is un-aged or at least, very young). Pretty much any corn whiskey that isn't from a micro is HH make. They do a good job with it.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    There may be some corn coming along from aged barrels. You never know. Chuck, how many micros do you know of that actually make a true corn whiskey. White, not a white whiskey.
    Pretty much I don't believe a micro is making anything until I've seen them do it. There are new names out there every day, but I think it's mostly Potemkins.

Advanced Taster

They are indeed mostly Potemkins. What's happening is that excited entrepreneurs decided that they want to make whiskey. In their research, they discover bulk whiskey.... and their notion of making whiskey goes away because actually making it looks too hard.

And this would be fine, except we're getting robbed of new whiskey distilleries, and all the creativity that would come out of them figuring out how to do it. And that's a damn shame, if you ask me. What if Stone Brewing and Firestone Walker and breweries like them never happened because they chose to become contract brewers instead?

BTW, Mr. Cowdery... in case you were concerned about our shop:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Connoisseur

yep, potemkins. I was recently contacted by a broker who wanted bulk corn with lots of heads and tails in it, so that it could be sold bulk and blended with gns so people could start mircodistilling. Wow.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    Is that a hint?
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton