Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: mellow corn expanding is distribution area?

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold View Post
    They are indeed mostly Potemkins. What's happening is that excited entrepreneurs decided that they want to make whiskey. In their research, they discover bulk whiskey.... and their notion of making whiskey goes away because actually making it looks too hard.

And this would be fine, except we're getting robbed of new whiskey distilleries, and all the creativity that would come out of them figuring out how to do it. And that's a damn shame, if you ask me. What if Stone Brewing and Firestone Walker and breweries like them never happened because they chose to become contract brewers instead?

BTW, Mr. Cowdery... in case you were concerned about our shop:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    I think we all enjoy a good high krausen.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by HRay View Post
    I see that Mellow Corn is available in Georgia (it's on the list) and after what I have read here about Mellow Corn, I am intrigued anough to go downtown and get a bottle tomorrow. I've seem it on the shelves and didn't know Heaven Hill made it. Do they make Georgia Moon as well?
    I looked for Mellow Corn and although I'm pretty sure I've seem it here somewhere, I did not see it at the two stores I frequent (Tower and Green's). I did however see Georgia Moon (seems logical in Atlanta). What is the difference between the two?
    Slainte mhath

Ray in Atlanta

Connoisseur

Gerorgia moon is watered down Mellow corn white dog if you will.

They're both made by Heaven Hill and are the same out of the still. Georgia Moon is un-aged and 40% ABV. Mellow Corn is aged at least 4 years in used barrels and 50% ABV.

Connoisseur

I wonder what the barrels previously held in them? I'm sure that's going to influence the taste a bit.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

We are making a corn whiskey. It's 80% corn and 20% malted barley and aged in used barrels. We also stick that grain bill in new barrels, which is bourbon.

We are going to blend those two to make one product that will be labeled as neither a corn whiskey nor bourbon. We're got the labels approved a while back and we're just going to call it "Appalachian Whiskey". We're pretty excited about.

My thinking has been that when people around here think of moonshine, they mistakenly think it's corn liquor. In fact, most of it around these parts is made from sugar. So, it's really our play on aged moonshine, if there ever was such a thing. The label is more about the region and not so hokey as I make it sound.

We started putting it away last year so I hope to have some out next spring. It's interesting now, but a bit green.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    I wonder what the barrels previously held in them? I'm sure that's going to influence the taste a bit.
    Probably HH bourbon?

but it would be interesting to know if they were young barrels or old.

Chuck, when they reuse barrels, do they re-char them?

Since Heaven Hill sells the vast majority of its used barrels, I assume they keep some of the most desirable ones for their own limited re-use purposes.

I also assume that the most desirable ones are the youngest, i.e., the ones that held bourbon for the least amount of time. The bourbon that is used for ready-to-drinks for the Australian market is barely two years old--just old enough to be called 'straight bourbon.' I imagine those are the barrels they retain for aging Mellow Corn.

No, they don't re-char them. They are merely emptied and rinsed. I know of no re-charring done by U.S. distilleries, but I know the Scottish distilleries do, on occasion, scrape and re-char. Obviously, this is highly labor intensive and is not done often.

Heaven Hill's principal use for used barrels is for aging their brandies, primarily Christian Brothers. In addition to the youth of the barrels, there is the fact that both the brandies and the bourbon for the ready-to-drinks are aged at Bernheim, whereas the rest of Heaven Hill's bourbons are aged in Bardstown and vicinity. There's a good chance that Mellow Corn is also aged at Bernheim.

The masonry warehouses at Bernheim are mostly empty, so anything they can age there and not ship to Bardstown they probably do age there. Parker and Craig Beam don't like the way the masonry warehouses age so with the exception of the RTD stuff and some contract production, they don't age any bourbon there.
    Last edited by cowdery; 11-23-2011 at 09:56.

Chuck,
    Do you know if they try to sweat the barrels in some way to extract the last bit of alcohol when they dump? Or, do they leave that in order to add something to the Mellow Corn?

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothAmbler View Post
    Chuck,
    Do you know if they try to sweat the barrels in some way to extract the last bit of alcohol when they dump? Or, do they leave that in order to add something to the Mellow Corn?
    so far as I know, only Beam and Daniel's sweat.