Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ewsb 2001

Advanced Taster

Ewsb 2001

The new Evan Williams SB expression is showing up on the shelves and I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm still bunkering 2000 (which I liked very well) and some 97.

Has anyone tried a bottle? How did they do with this product?
    "Brown eyed women and red grenadine...
    the bottle was dusty but the liquor was clean." -Jerry Garcia

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Ewsb 2001

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock View Post
    The new Evan Williams SB expression is showing up on the shelves and I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm still bunkering 2000 (which I liked very well) and some 97.

Has anyone tried a bottle? How did they do with this product?
    That's the first I've heard that it has hit retail. Thanks for the heads up. The EWSB's have ranged from good, to fantastic, with me. I would expect this to be at least within that range. There is a 100% guarantee that I will buy one as soon as I see it. And, probably more, thereafter.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Advanced Taster

Well, I guess I need to get a bottle post-haste. I assumed it was everywhere else, and were getting the tail end of things. How rare to be on the cutting edge!
    "Brown eyed women and red grenadine...
    the bottle was dusty but the liquor was clean." -Jerry Garcia

Enthusiast

That reminds me that I want to make sure and pick up some more of the 2000.

Apprentice

I tried the 1999 and thought it was so-so. The 2000 was much better to me. Ill be sure to get a couple 2000's for the bunker before they go bye bye. I will also be awaiting the arrival of the 2001 vintage. Both bottles I have had were very drinkable bourbon and had some character.

Thanks for the heads up!
    "Kick a buck."

Guru

Just tried the 2001. First impression: something is missing here --- very weak and thin with very little flavor.

I must stress this is my first taste... but at this point it doesn't look good.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    Just tried the 2001. First impression: something is missing here --- very weak and thin with very little flavor.

Glad I didn't pull the trigger at 28.99 yesterday.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post

I think you are on target John...... At $27-30 there are better values.... IMO this includes the EW BIB for $11-14.....
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Enthusiast

I wanted to grab a bottle of the 2001 I saw on the shelf, but the price was $34, which I felt was a bit high.

I really liked the 1999 and 2000.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I picked one up the other day, and, I've been playing around with it, since. It is one of the less bold iterations from the series. And so, I can see where John can find it to be weak and thin on first blush. I find more to it, though. It seems older than it is, as there is a hit of nice oak on finish. It's very refined. Nice vegetal, leather, black tea, and toffee come through, but none is dominant. They make their quick appearance and then meld back into the mixture. This bourbon reminds me very much of many of the ER17's from the BTAC. The EWSB is refined, subdued, and...elegant, just like I find the ER17's to be. If you desire a whalloping big bourbon, this may not be for you. I, though, am a fan.

Now, it's off to Stats and the Dome to pound beers, hoot and holler, and cheer on the Falcons! Burp...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama