Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 41 of 54 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso
    A few bottles bit the dust this week... A WTRB, 4R yellow, just now a Jefferson's rye... Soon to polish off a Weller 12 tonight as well

Enthusiast

Re: Empty Bottle Support Group 2011

Finishing off a bottle of Bulleit Rye as I type. I like it's minty flavor so it will be replaced. It will never replace Ritt but it's better than Beam and I can get it locally unlike the Ritt that I have to order. My area sucks for choice.
    Greg
    Southeast New Mexico

Guru

Weller 12 is now a goner and Buffalo Trace has but a sip left. I've enjoyed both but only plan on replacing the Weller 12. It's so damned good and you can't beat the price.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Parkersback View Post
    What's your Old Fashioned method/recipe?
    I like Robert Hess (drinkboy)'s version: simple syrup and bitters stirred with ice, bourbon and large slice of orange peel (squeezed to express oils) added, filled with ice and stirred again. Cherry as garnish at the end; nothing muddled, no club soda added.

The experimental variables (in addition to the base whiskey) were the amount of simple syrup and bitters: Angostura regular, Angostura orange, Fee Bros. whiskey-barrel-aged and Stirrings blood orange.
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

An OWA was emptied the other night. Ahhhhhhhhhh......Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Novice

finished a rittenhouse bib rye this week, and a weller 12 recently. trying to clear out all the bottles i have left open... i just opened a pappy 15 though, which is going fast! trying to keep myself from drinking more of it after hearing from other SBers about how it gets better with time/oxidation, like most wheaters. I think that's probably true, given my experience with a ORVW 10/107, which just got better as time went on.

Connoisseur

An EC12, WT Rye, and a VOB BIB were put to rest with a few neighbors last night.

Disciple

Said goodbye to a GTS 2010 last night. Very good, especially the last few pours, I likes me some barrel chunks.

I have paced myself well with the GTS vintages, I'm not quite worn out yet, as some people seem to be.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    Said goodbye to a GTS 2010 last night. Very good, especially the last few pours, I likes me some barrel chunks.

I have paced myself well with the GTS vintages, I'm not quite worn out yet, as some people seem to be.
    I agree that it's good bourbon Sky...I just don't think it's $80 good especially when 2 years ago it was $55-$60...that's some serious inflation! I think some of the Willett bottling’s that have been done are just as good or better and most of the time come in at a lower price point. That being said, it's easier to pick an excellent SB then it is to produce a good batch of GTS so I do give BT their props there as they seem to be able to deliver a very consistent GTS year over year. I tend to find the GTS bottling’s more alike than different when comparing year to year so I don't really feel compelled to go out and get the 2011 bottles when I have an ample supply of the 2006-2009 in the bunker.

Oh yeah, I did manage to kill a bottle of Ritt BIB last week...that stuff is so good when mixed with ginger ale!
    Last edited by hectic1; 09-05-2011 at 13:30.
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Advanced Taster

Well...I stretched it as long as I could, my dusty OGD BIB handle with the real tax stamp went dry last night, as well as an Ezera B a couple nights ago.