Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Empty Bottle Support Group 2011

The 18 yrs are also Bernheims?

Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    The Willett 17yr that I have is a Bernhiem distilliate and IMO just as good as the majority of the SW stuff I have tasted. SW has is loar about it due in part to the hype created by websites like this...IMO the Bernheim stuff that I have tasted (Binny's W12, Willett 17/18yr, etc) have been on the same level as a lot of the SW stuff that I've had. If you're ever in the area you're welcome to come by and taste some for yourself.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    The 18 yrs are also Bernheims?
    I don't know where you're getting your 18yr olds from so I can't comment on the source of those. The ones that I purchased aren't available through liquor stores.

I managed to kill of a DSP 16/24 Old Fitz BIB this weekend that had been lingering for a while...very good bourbon in that bottle!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Virtuoso

A bottle of OWA gave up it's last pour last night.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    I finished a FR Yellow, and a Barclay's so far this week. Please stay tuned. There may be more to follow. Cheers! Joe
    As I said 4 days ago, stay tuned. JTS Brown BIB, 2010 WLW, and a 1986 375 of Old Fitz Prime are now sitting along side their brothers in the recycle bin. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

Sir, you are an excellent steward of the environment

My EWSB 2000 is just vanishing - it must be that I haven't corked it tightly enough It'll be gone in a couple of days, easily. Anything like it out there that I should buy next? I'm not very familiar with HH offerings, or any whiskey with that great caramel/mint balance.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    As I said 4 days ago, stay tuned. JTS Brown BIB, 2010 WLW, and a 1986 375 of Old Fitz Prime are now sitting along side their brothers in the recycle bin. Joe

Disciple

Sir, you are an excellent steward of the environment

My EWSB 2000 is just vanishing - it must be that I haven't corked it tightly enough It'll be gone in a couple of days, easily. Anything like it out there that I should buy next? I'm not very familiar with HH offerings, or any whiskey with that great caramel/mint balance.
    What are some of your favorite bottles that you've tried, and what are some of the ones that you didn't care for?

Connoisseur

Really, I'm looking for one with good balance between the corn/oak notes and rye notes. Let's see:

Recent ones I've liked - Knob Creek (tasty but a bit sweet), WLW 2008-2010, GTS, Fighting Cock, Redemption High Rye Bourbon, Elmer T. Lee

Didn't really like - Booker's (too sweet), Handy and anything rye from High West (too much rye for me), Eagle Rare 10 and 17 year (bland)

Basically something with a good sweet base and also a bit of rye cinnamon/mint. The closest I've come besides the EWSB is the Elmer, which I loved. I might get that again but I also want to branch out a bit. Thanks for any help! I'm sure it will appear in the empty bottle list soon

What are some of your favorite bottles that you've tried, and what are some of the ones that you didn't care for?

Disciple

Really, I'm looking for one with good balance between the corn/oak notes and rye notes. Let's see:

Recent ones I've liked - Knob Creek (tasty but a bit sweet), WLW 2008-2010, GTS, Fighting Cock, Redemption High Rye Bourbon, Elmer T. Lee

Didn't really like - Booker's (too sweet), Handy and anything rye from High West (too much rye for me), Eagle Rare 10 and 17 year (bland)

Basically something with a good sweet base and also a bit of rye cinnamon/mint. The closest I've come besides the EWSB is the Elmer, which I loved. I might get that again but I also want to branch out a bit. Thanks for any help! I'm sure it will appear in the empty bottle list soon
    Well with that list I don't really know what to tell you as you have likes and dislikes from pretty much every distillery except Four Roses. I would try some Four Roses Single Barrel which is their OBSV recipe. The challenge there is that it's a single barrel so you might love one bottling and then not like the next one. I like the FRSB a bit better then the Small Batch but you might want to try that one too as many people really like that one.

If you have access to Weller Special Reserve or Antique , Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107 or Lot B should be on your short list for wheaters.

As for rye based recipes it seems as you prefer a higher ratio of rye in your mashbill. Buffalo Trace, Henry McKenna SB, OGD 114, and EC 18 (1992 bottles seem to get high praise) could be other ones that fit your liking.

Connoisseur

Thanks! I've been hearing great things about Four Roses but have no experience with that company - in DC we have like 2 offerings, yet online there are dozens of different releases, so I had to skip them until I got more experience. I'll either get one of those or the OGD114, which I've been looking for an excuse to buy for a month now

Well with that list I don't really know what to tell you as you have likes and dislikes from pretty much every distillery except Four Roses. I would try some Four Roses Single Barrel which is their OBSV recipe. The challenge there is that it's a single barrel so you might love one bottling and then not like the next one. I like the FRSB a bit better then the Small Batch but you might want to try that one too as many people really like that one.

If you have access to Weller Special Reserve or Antique , Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107 or Lot B should be on your short list for wheaters.

As for rye based recipes it seems as you prefer a higher ratio of rye in your mashbill. Buffalo Trace, Henry McKenna SB, OGD 114, and EC 18 (1992 bottles seem to get high praise) could be other ones that fit your liking.
    Last edited by bad_scientist; 10-10-2011 at 18:05.

Disciple

A bottle of Pappy 15 hit the bin. I think there's a few more somewhere around here.