Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: New Beam Black Packaging

A. Smith Bowman, in Virginia, stores barrels on end but I'm not sure if they're on pallets. In the pictures I've seen of Forty Creek the barrels appear to be on end but on shelves.

A full barrel weighs about 500 pounds. Nine to a pallet, that's 4,500 pounds.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Mark Waymak and James Harris were doing interviews in Kentucky for their book at about the same time I was doing interviews for "Made and Bottled in Kentucky." Jim Murray was researching his American whiskey book at about the same time. Every place I went one of them had either just been or soon would be. That was 1991-1992 and really marked the beginning of the Bourbon Renaissance, though that's only apparent in retrospect. I didn't realize it at the time, but two book projects and a documentary making the rounds at the same time was unusual then in bourbon country.

Guru

The books came out and the next time business required travel in sorta that direction we stopped at Bardstown, early '95, I date such things by how old my son was at the time as he traveled with me everywhere.

Great time there for a first visit, stayed at the Talbott, discovered the Getz, was suffused with Burbonia there and with many questions was directed by a nice lady (probably BetteJo's aunt) to a guy named Mike Veach. Found him elbow deep in papers in a small office and he politely took the time to fully answer my questions.

So after a stop at Toddy's buying a case each of 10 yr HH and AAA we left with my son's mother's commenting are you going to go 1/3 across the country carrying two cases of bourbon in the trunk?

My response was, actually darling, it's 2/3 rds counting the trip back and the answer is, yep.