Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Trippah and Admin

Re: Old Heaven Hill BiB vs. Old Heaven Hill 8 y/o

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    In 2008 I sent a bottle to Scott (Callmeox), who took it to the next sampler. It's my recollection that he told me that when Bettye Jo Boone of HH saw it, she stated that it was one no longer in production.

Am I remembering that right, Scott?

(it's also possible that Christian related this to me...I have trouble recollecting at this point)
    My recollection is that Bettye Jo said that there are many one-off labels in the HH catalog and that the OHHVRO 8/86 was most likely one of the products bottled at the request of a specific customer.

I believe the 10yo BiB was the one no longer in production due to declining demand.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    If picking between the two HH BIBs, I'd take the 6 year. It's actually quite good and value priced.
    I haven't noticed any 6 year HH BIB, in my last few trips to Kentucky. The 6 year old I now see is all 90 proof green label "Heaven Hill Old Style Bourbon". The BIB is the nas "Old Heaven Hill" . I know from Chuck's prior posts that Heaven Hill makes many labels and tailors them for different customers too, so I probably just haven't been to stores that still have the 6 year BIB. I once had a 6 year HH BIB but don't remember if it was "Old Style" or "Old Heaven Hill" either.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Guru

Scott I would swing through Bardstown every few years for a decade or so and always picked up a case of HH Very Old Rare 10yr 50%. Last time I was there it was still 10yrs but 43% and the price was a bit higher. I don't think the decision to change was consumer driven.

Apprentice

After reading this thread I stopped and picked up a bottle of the Very Rare Old 8-year 86 proof on the way home. I've had the BIB 6-year and I didn't think much of it. The VRO was even cheaper ($9.99/liter vs 12.99) so I was leery, but to my delight, the 8-year is pretty dern good. The flavor isn't the most complex out there, but for having on hand if I want to minlessly sip on something or if friends/wife/dog/etc. want to pour it in a Coke it's great. I think in a blind test this would fool some people, but not all.

And it sounds like the consensus is that it's still in production . . . if it helps, mine has an "11" on the bottom of the bottle. Could it be a 2011 product already? I don't know if stock makes it through the system that fast. Maybe the bottle manufacturer's fiscal year started sometime in calendar year 2010?

Maybe it's just because it's one louder. It's good stuff and a hidden gem, at any rate.

If not for this thread I would probably never have tried it, so Thanks!

Mike

Virtuoso

I picked up a liter today... won't have time to open it until later, though. couldn't find a year number on the bottom, sorry no help there. The price is right, though!

Irreverent One

Although there's no bottling date on the bottles, I was told by the owner of the liquor store where I'd been buying them that his last case of it had a date of May 2001 printed on the case. The seven bottles I bought in December have an 01 on the bottom of the bottle. So I'm pretty sure that the stuff I've been buying these past 2.5 years was distilled at the now-destroyed Bardstown distillery.

It may be that they've produced some more. It would be from Bernheim, and even though it might be good, I doubt it tastes like the old DSP-31 stuff.

Mike, where are you, BTW?

Added via edit:

Okay, I see from this post you must be in Minnesota.

I'm starting to believe that the only two customers for this have been the OLCC and some distributor in Minnesota. Both ran out (probably late last year) and HH has produced some more.

As for the 11 bottle date, it might be the same bottle used for EW (I need to compare them), in which case the bottle producer ships them as fast as they make them, and HH fills them as fast as they get them.
    Last edited by CorvallisCracker; 01-21-2011 at 15:42.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    Okay, I see from this post you must be in Minnesota.
    Yeah, imagine that, there's more than one person in the state of Minnesota that drinks bourbon!! Who'd of thunk it.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post
    Yeah, imagine that, there's more than one person in the state of Minnesota that drinks bourbon!! Who'd of thunk it.
    You're missing Joshua a lot, aren't you?
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Scott I would swing through Bardstown every few years for a decade or so and always picked up a case of HH Very Old Rare 10yr 50%. Last time I was there it was still 10yrs but 43% and the price was a bit higher. I don't think the decision to change was consumer driven.
    "Declining demand" was Bettye Jo's take on the disposition of the brand based on her bottling line observations, IIRC.

Trippah and Admin

Here's her post on the topic of the 10yo BiB.