Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Bourbons that don't do well in Crystal

I thought a conversation about bourbons that seem to suffer when tasted from a crystal vessel. Or even ones that shine.

I have been noticing that wheated bourbons seem to not shine so well when placed in crystal.

My Jefferson's Presidential gets very muted in crystal. I have also noticed Weller 12 and Lot B don't do so well.

thoughts?
    Last edited by chefnash51; 01-19-2011 at 21:32.
    -Kevin

"Why? Because it's delicious!"

Bourbon always did make me feel like a Giant.

Connoisseur

Re: Bourbons that don't do well in Crystal

I have always felt EC12 does better in glass than crystal for some reason.

I'll also agree on the Lot B performing better in glass.
    Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns
    They should sell Pappy by the gallon, everyone buys the whole shelf anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT
    I'm wearing a kilt right now...
    I feel like the fat Britney
    P_Elliots word of the day: odacity, coaqulate, preflent

Virtuoso

I find few whiskey's that perform well, to my palate, in Glencairn crystal. Most do better in Glencairn glass. I do however find that most whiskeys perform well, again to my palate, in the Schott Zwiesel Tritan glassware, especially the Pure series. While called crystal I suspect the chemical composition is a bit different.
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Enthusiast

Great idea for a thread! I have always read that bourbons can show different characteristics in glass & crystal. I only have a few crystal Glencairn's at home so haven't really messed around with different glassware, other than the occasional rocks glass. I look forward to what others have to say.

Does anyone know if the Buffalo Trace Glencairn is glass or crystal? The liquor store next to me has them, if they are glass I will go pick one up.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I use crystal regularly and don't notice any real difference, but I once read that long-term storage (in decanters) is not advised because things can leach into the liquid from the glass (lead, perhaps?).

Gary

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by nblair View Post
    Great idea for a thread! I have always read that bourbons can show different characteristics in glass & crystal. I only have a few crystal Glencairn's at home so haven't really messed around with different glassware, other than the occasional rocks glass. I look forward to what others have to say.

Does anyone know if the Buffalo Trace Glencairn is glass or crystal? The liquor store next to me has them, if they are glass I will go pick one up.
    I'm gonna assume they are crystal since Glencairn stopped making them from glass in 08. If they are NOS, you may get lucky, and they are glass. I have never drank anything from crystal, all my Glencairns are glass, but if I come across one in crystal, I'll pick it up, and start doing comparisons, hearing this conversation has gotten me curious.

Disciple

I actually prefer the glass glencairn to the crystal ones I have had. I find the crystal to be a bit too delicate (both while holding and also when they eventually break on me).
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Taster

If anyone looking for glass Glencairns, I know that http://www.scotchwhiskyglass.com/ still had some left that were etched with PORT ELLEN (call them to order, some Port Ellen may be crystal also), and http://www.cobhthaighceltique.com/ has 7 left that are painted with either a Harp or Scottish Thistle (scroll to the bottom of their Glencairn page, they are on clearance).

Guru

Exclamation Re: Bourbons that don't do well in Crystal

Quote Originally Posted by chefnash51 View Post

thoughts?
    I have never considered such a concept. On the face of it, it sounds absurd.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I use crystal regularly and don't notice any real difference, but I once read that long-term storage (in decanters) is not advised because things can leach into the liquid from the glass (lead, perhaps?).

Gary
    Yes, I believe the long term leaching issue with leaded crystal is the only documented chemical interaction with alcohol stored in crystal.

I use crystal and glass. I had read this same supposition on the board some time ago and I felt as if I was back on an audio board reading about "tweaks".

This would be a cheap tweak, using glass instead of crystal. It is not one that I would support in theory but maybe I'll try an A/B sometime for curiosities sake.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination