Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Bourbons that don't do well in Crystal

I'm not "elevated" enough in my whisk(e)y drinking to tell the difference between crystal and glass as far as taste is concerned. I do notice a difference in "enjoyment" as far as between a Rocks glass and a Glencairn glass, though. I much prefer to drink from the Glencairn, no matter wheather it be scotch, bourbon or Irish.

Advanced Taster

What about lead-free crystal vs. glass? I mean, what the molecular structure of crystal as opposed to glass, absent the lead? I have a glass glass and bought a Glencairn of lead free crystal and can't tell the difference...but perhaps much more experimentation is in order...
    "Brown eyed women and red grenadine...
    the bottle was dusty but the liquor was clean." -Jerry Garcia

Enthusiast

This thread was only meant to be a discussion, not a fact, not the definitive truth.. no need to call the thread BS over and over.

Maybe it wasn't meant to come of this way, but it sure feels like a few folks are bullying anyone that has a thought that differs from what they feel to be the truth.

This was a light heart-ed topic, just something I felt I noticed and saw a few others make similar comments.

you know, if people just want to have the regulars post on this site and only give credit to those who are in the inner circle, then that is only doing a disservice to this community.
    -Kevin

"Why? Because it's delicious!"

Bourbon always did make me feel like a Giant.

Virtuoso

If you follow the link to the other thread, it is Em (Spun_cookie) who originally made the argument for the noticeable difference. While I can't tell a difference myself, there are few people I know who have as good of a palate or who have tasted such a broad range of whiskey in a broad range of settings as Em. If he says it, I will at least hold off on calling "Bullshit."
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Disciple

I was skeptical of this, but I gave it a whirl. I use Riedel Cognac glasses for most spirits.(The the one with the tulip shape.) I happen to own both the restaurant version, which is regular glass, and the Vinum series, which is 24% leaded crystal.

Both glasses are the exact same shape, except for a slightly thicker stem on the cheaper glass version. The only difference is the material. I'm tasting Lot B out of both, and can detect no difference in either aroma or palate. FWIW.

I prefer the leaded Crytal, but only because it is heavier, and has a more elegant feel. Also, as far as the discussion on the rounded vs. "cut" rims of various glasses, cut rims deliver a better sense of taste, IMHO. I find this true for both wine and whiskey.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by chefnash51 View Post
    This thread was only meant to be a discussion, not a fact, not the definitive truth.. no need to call the thread BS over and over.

Maybe it wasn't meant to come of this way, but it sure feels like a few folks are bullying anyone that has a thought that differs from what they feel to be the truth.

This was a light heart-ed topic, just something I felt I noticed and saw a few others make similar comments.

you know, if people just want to have the regulars post on this site and only give credit to those who are in the inner circle, then that is only doing a disservice to this community.

I'm a big fan of the Penn & Teller show Bullshit. So, I enjoy using the word in their same concept. Inner Circle? you & I have the exact same rights on this site; we can both post and comment.

I attacked your premise, not you personally. There is a big difference. Attacking a premise is not bullying; making derogative comments about you personally would be.

Why would I even respond to your post if only to disagree? It goes to the topic of Chuck's misinformation thread. Lot's of people (including non-members) read these threads. Without responding they may think they need to go spend $30 on a glass to enjoy their bourbon. I want to dispel that notion.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by nblair View Post
    Great idea for a thread! I have always read that bourbons can show different characteristics in glass & crystal. I only have a few crystal Glencairn's at home so haven't really messed around with different glassware, other than the occasional rocks glass. I look forward to what others have to say.

Does anyone know if the Buffalo Trace Glencairn is glass or crystal? The liquor store next to me has them, if they are glass I will go pick one up.
    The BT Glencarin style glasses I have are glass.... give them a tap and you can usually tell. Also the glass has a thicker lip and tend to be heavier (about 150 grams for Crystal and 170+ for glass) given they are thicker.
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Guru

The best way to drink bourbon is to use a straw.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    The best way to drink bourbon is to use a straw.
    ... from a can..... or is that scotch
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    Lot's of people (including non-members) read these threads. Without responding they may think they need to go spend $30 on a glass to enjoy their bourbon. I want to dispel that notion.
    Sorry I took offense.

To clarify, I stated that I felt my Crystal glass muted some flavors in some bourbons, which I know now is bullshit. Either way, that would probably not lead someone to think they need to buy a crystal glass.
    -Kevin

"Why? Because it's delicious!"

Bourbon always did make me feel like a Giant.