Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wistlepig rye!

Enthusiast

Re: Wistlepig rye!

Wow those numbers are eye opening!
    Visit the search for glory in the bottle: http://imbibehour.blogspot.com/
    My video reviews http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...16DDF465CBC112

Just a few comments:

- Shelter Point distillery will soon release a 5 or 6 year old rye in the image of WhistlePig.

- Seagram's 7 is NOT Canadian whisky it is American whisky made in the USA.

- There is no GNS in Canadian whisky. Ever. American blended whisky may be up to 80% GNS. That's where the confusion comes from.

In Canada we don't call our whisky blended. By a 200 year old tradition we call it rye or Canadian whisky. I have an explanation of this up on my site right now.

I have tasted the raw base whisky from every distillery in Canada and NONE of them are neutral, despite the distillers calling them that. Some are very flavourful even as new make.

- The 9.09% is a measure to give Canada an even footing with American blended whisky in the U.S. market. We get a great U.S. tax break by including some American spirits or other spirits that get a tax break in the U.S. On $500 million in sales to the U.S. this makes a huge difference.

- Although the labels may look the same sometimes the 9.09% blenders are left out of the Canadian version of the same whisky. Most exports to the U.S. rarely include the full 9.09% either, by the way.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Now that's what I call a first post!

You the man, D.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Davindek View Post
    Just a few comments:

- Shelter Point distillery will soon release a 5 or 6 year old rye in the image of WhistlePig.

- Seagram's 7 is NOT Canadian whisky it is American whisky made in the USA.

- There is no GNS in Canadian whisky. Ever. American blended whisky may be up to 80% GNS. That's where the confusion comes from.

In Canada we don't call our whisky blended. By a 200 year old tradition we call it rye or Canadian whisky. I have an explanation of this up on my site right now.

I have tasted the raw base whisky from every distillery in Canada and NONE of them are neutral, despite the distillers calling them that. Some are very flavourful even as new make.

- The 9.09% is a measure to give Canada an even footing with American blended whisky in the U.S. market. We get a great U.S. tax break by including some American spirits or other spirits that get a tax break in the U.S. On $500 million in sales to the U.S. this makes a huge difference.

- Although the labels may look the same sometimes the 9.09% blenders are left out of the Canadian version of the same whisky. Most exports to the U.S. rarely include the full 9.09% either, by the way.
    Anybody gotta problem widdat?..................Huh?.......Anybody?...... ..........Well, I'll toast our Northern Neighbor's fine whiskey with a small pour of Bush Pilot's. Welcome, D.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

"There is no GNS in Canadian whisky. Ever." Good to know, thanks.

Welcome to the site and great post. You neglected to list your site on your profile so where is it?

Advanced Taster

Davin's excellent Canadian whisky website is here: http://www.canadianwhisky.org/

He's also made a great contribution to Dave Broom's recent World Atlas of Whisky.
    "Good" may be subjective, but that doesn't mean it's arbitrary.

Disciple

Well, I'll toast our Northern Neighbor's fine whiskey with a small pour of Bush Pilot's.
    Ahh, a taste of the good old days ehh Joe?
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Now that's what I call a first post!

You the man, D.
    Gee Chuck, I'm blushing. Thanks.

I have followed this board for several years and finally figured out how to join last year some time. There is a lot of good information here about Canadian whisky along with a little bit of understandable misinformation. Among many others, I particularly enjoy Gillman's CW posts.

I didn't leave a link to my site as I get bored reading posts and comments (elsewhere) that seem intended only to troll for hits. Thanks DBK for pointing people to it.

I have had a review of Bush Pilot's in the queue for some time now but it keeps getting bumped. Currently it is scheduled for Feb 14. Bushido turned me onto this some years ago. I was a big fan of his Canadian whisky site, "Beauty Eh?", and a bit sad that being ahead of his time it didn't catch on.

Thanks guys for the warm welcome.

Now back to lurking.

Davin

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Good to see you here, Davin, and thanks for your comments.

Gary

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Davindek View Post

I didn't leave a link to my site as I get bored reading posts and comments (elsewhere) that seem intended only to troll for hits. Thanks DBK for pointing people to it.

I have had a review of Bush Pilot's in the queue for some time now but it keeps getting bumped. Currently it is scheduled for Feb 14. Bushido turned me onto this some years ago. I was a big fan of his Canadian whisky site, "Beauty Eh?", and a bit sad that being ahead of his time it didn't catch on.
    Davin
    I've got my one and only Bush Pilot's unopened in the bunker so I look forward to your review. I've enjoyed your site. Welcome aboard.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011