Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Ill-Informed Discussions.

I have no interest in pointing fingers at anyone but I have been shocked at how ill-informed some of the discussions are on this board. I don't blame the people who I know know better for not jumping in because we all get tired of debunking the same myths and misconceptions, and correcting the same factual mistakes. I suggest that many participants here would be well served by reading and watching, and certainly writing and recording, fewer blogs and podcasts, and perhaps even making fewer posts here, that all seem to recycle the same ignorance. Instead read a book, or WHISKY Magazine, or Malt Advocate, or The Bourbon Country Reader. I hate to say it, but the web alone will not make you a knowledgable whiskey enthusiast (assuming you want to be). Either the answers aren't there or it's just a bitch to find them amidst all the crap. Too much talking, not enough learning. And don't play ball on my lawn.
    Last edited by cowdery; 01-10-2011 at 01:42.

Enthusiast

Re: Ill-Informed Discussions.

So one of my favorite pages on the inter-tubes is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...misconceptions

I laughed out loud when I saw that Wikipedia actually had it. Perhaps it's high time to come up with a SB.com Grand List of Common Bourbon Misconceptions.

Guru

I'll be the first to admit I've been guilty of what Chuck is talking about on multiple occasions, as recently as yesterday.

There's a learning curve for everybody. The key, I think, is knowing what you do and don't know and being humble enough to admit when you're wrong.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

A sticky perhaps? I will add that the search function works back to 1999.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

I too think I have my facts in a row only to find out later that I might have been off a LITTLE. But I am not one afraid to ask stupid questions the only question is is Chuck getting tired of answering them?
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Virtuoso

This post reminds me, I found an old half-drunk bottle of Hiram Walker's Blended Whiskey in my grandpappy's attic which I would like to sell, hopefully for thousands of dollars. Is it still good? What is it worth?

I assume it is from Kentucky since all Bourbon must be made in Kentucky and/or Kentucky is the only state can have its name on the label. It also states that it is "sour mash" which means that lemons were added as part of the Lincoln County Process.

If you have a bid on this priceless Bourbon, please let me know.

Guru

Our of my price range sku but I sure would like to sample it. I mean, older is better, right?

Advanced Taster

Some general thoughts:

I'm new to bourbon, and new to this site. I knew, coming in, that I would ask a lot of beginner questions, but using the search function I tried to keep them to a minimum. I try to keep my eyes open and my posts to a minimum unless I have something useful to say or can't find the answer. A lot of the information is very hard to search for because everyone uses a different abbreviation, and names are seldom spelled out. Elmer T. Lee could be ETL or ETLee or E.T. Lee or ETL15 or ETL 15. Now multiply this times at least 100 bourbons. That's one issue.

All sites have to deal with people who only want information on what their "thing" (motorcycle, wristwatch, Hummel figurine...you name it) is worth. It's part of being a public internet site.

If SB wants to keep the noise to bandwidth ratio as good as possible it either needs to do a better job of education (FAQ's, photos of dusties with historical information, etc.) or it needs make the walls a little higher. I think the best way to do this is with a minimum post count to post in certain forums (collector's corner would be a good place to wall off, for instance). I've seen this work very well on several other forums that have a tremendous potential for bad behavior, namely Toyota Land Cruisers and men's style and fashion. Both of the major websites that deal with these topics have sections of the site that are off limits to the "just joined" crowd. Set the bar at whatever minimum the owner and mods think is appropriate. 10, 50, 100...whatever.

What Chuck says is true, but even among enthusiasts there are all levels of expertise, and there are always going to be repetitive simple questions. Maybe a better bourbon history section would be good. Also, you might consider kicking a member off if they don't post (X) number of times a year. Lurkers who only want to poach dusties would have to rejoin frequently. Many "members" here joined in 2003 and posted once. They're either lurking or they've moved on - either way they need to be prodded by making them go through the rejoin process. It takes about 30 seconds.

And last: The general air of respect that reigns here (and if you don't think SB is gentlemanly and respectful, I kindly direct your attention to the other 99.9% of internet forums...) makes it harder for the more outspoken members to "enforce" good behavior. On other forums there is always a group of funny, brutal, wise cracking old timers who enjoy busting on new people who don't use the search function for basic questions, or who try to sell something they found in the attic, or point you incessantly to their blog, or link you to their ebay auction. It can make the atmosphere somewhat ruder and more "wild west", (it also provides most of the humor...) but it is effective at keeping people between the ditches so to speak.

For what it's worth...
    "Brown eyed women and red grenadine...
    the bottle was dusty but the liquor was clean." -Jerry Garcia

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock View Post

If SB wants to keep the noise to bandwidth ratio as good as possible
    It should be noted that the complaint is not from SB, and even though the poster happens to be SB's most prolific, it still isn't "his lawn"
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Enthusiast

Those are all good points, flintlock, but it seems like the main gripe here has more to do with people entering into discussions ignorant of the facts and offering up inaccurate information about the topic at hand.