Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Where to get a Glencairn?

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    I know that I'm in the minority here, but I prefer the Riedel Ouverture Bourbon glass over the Glencairn.

They are usually more expensive and harder to find than the Glencairn nosing glass. I got a pair on sale for less than 20 bucks at Party Source so deals can be had on them.

I'll join you in that minority, Scott. I occasionally drink from a Glencairn, but, I simply find it too....confining? Certainly, it concentrates nosing. Maybe, even too much for bourbon??? But, after that...not much for me. It doesn't help me corral all of the other sensory perceptions of the rest of the drink. I can't seem to...wallow (if that makes any sense) in the pour after that. If I ever get to the point where I can't actually drink the whiskey in my glass, and must simply nose it, I may go to looking for more Glencairns.

Another thing about the Glencairns, is that when I hold them, I get this odd hankerin' to see how far I can throw it, and, how tight a spiral I can get! That weighted end, and the bulbous middle that gives a good grip..............Go Deep!!!!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Another thing about the Glencairns, is that when I hold them, I get this odd hankerin' to see how far I can throw it, and, how tight a spiral I can get! That weighted end, and the bulbous middle that gives a good grip..............Go Deep!!!!
    When Glencairns go "missing" from the Gazebo, I think we will know where to look.

My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Just make sure it's empty when you throw it!

You might want to see if any of the stores near you have any of the Old Forester Repeal sets. The box has a 375 of the OF Repeal Bourbon, a commemorative scroll, and a glencairn glass. They can be found pretty cheap nowadays. I've seen them for as low as $10 or $12. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    You might want to see if any of the stores near you have any of the Old Forester Repeal sets. The box has a 375 of the OF Repeal Bourbon, a commemorative scroll, and a glencairn glass. They can be found pretty cheap nowadays. I've seen them for as low as $10 or $12. Joe
    When we at the KBF Liquor World had them for $7.95 some guy bought all of them while we were there maybe 17 of them.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Keep an eye on Malt Advocate web site They sell their leftover Whiskyfest glencairns pretty cheap I got mine for $5 a piece a couple of years ago thanks John. I have picked up others else where like distilleries. I don't think Jim wants to mess with it but it would be cool if we had a SB.com one made up. But then no one would know who's glass is who's at the gazebo
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Apprentice

So I guess a Glencairn is a Glencairn, it's just a matter of finding one?

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Mike

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Rotgut View Post
    So I guess a Glencairn is a Glencairn, it's just a matter of finding one?

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Mike
    I was at the new location of one of the liquor stores I frequent, drooling over the bottles of GTS they had out when I noticed a Glencairn with the Glenfidich logo on the clearance rack for $5. I looked at it, and realized it was a chinese knock off, but it was a perfect copy. Regardless of who made it, they all function the same.

Advanced Taster

This looks like a great glass at a great price - Glencairns are too small in my hand for leisurely drinking.

http://www.amazon.com/Anchor-Hocking...6520878&sr=8-3
    "Brown eyed women and red grenadine...
    the bottle was dusty but the liquor was clean." -Jerry Garcia

Advanced Taster

Check out a few liquor stores. My Binny's sells Glencairns at full retail, but Evanston First liquors (an independent) has a bunch etched "Lismore Single Malt" for $1.79 (and funny little Glencairn-shaped shot glasses etched "The GLenlivet" for 99) -c