Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Where to get a Glencairn?

I'm interested in getting a cheap, basic Glencairn, maybe 2. What's generally recommended? Eventually I'll get a nice set (= sneak it past my wife) but right now I'm just looking for one - something as a starter that I don't have to worry too much about, can throw in the dishwasher, etc.

I searched around but didn't find much.

This thread (Bourbons that don't do well in Crystal) said:

Quote Originally Posted by Medicfrost View Post
    If anyone looking for glass Glencairns, I know that http://www.scotchwhiskyglass.com/ still had some left that were etched with PORT ELLEN (call them to order, some Port Ellen may be crystal also), and http://www.cobhthaighceltique.com/ has 7 left that are painted with either a Harp or Scottish Thistle (scroll to the bottom of their Glencairn page, they are on clearance).
    Any recommendations? Get the cheapest one on Amazon or E-bay? Get one from cobhthaighceltique.com? Buffalo Trace?

I don't know if there are different qualities or if a Glencairn is a Glencairn . I'd get a quality one to start if there is a difference.

Thanks,

Mike

Guru

Re: Where to get a Glencairn?

Amazon.com has glass and crystal Glencairns at good prices.
    ovh

Virtuoso

They all seem to run a similar price no matter where you get it. $8-$10 a piece (both Glass and crystal)
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Virtuoso

I have always gotten mine at distilleries... but then again, I do live in KY.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Novice

The distillery I work at ordered about 1000 of them with our logo. I think we have them for $7.95. Call out there and see if they will ship some to you. I bought a 6 pack the day they came in, deffinitely worth it. Nice to have them around for when whisky friends come over.

Cedar Ridge
    319-857-4300

Novice

I've got both Glencairn glasses and INAO glasses. It is amazing how the shape of the glass really does change the experience, at least for me. It may just be my imagination but I find that the Glencairn glasses make average whiskey "nose" better --taking the ethanol edge off of some--, while the INAO glasses give you a better idea of the spirit in its entirety, warts and all. Sometimes I use one over the other, but if I could only have one it would be the INAO glasses (and they were half the price of the Glencairn glasses too.)

Oh and first post here, how do you do.

Apprentice

Welcome to the forum, kbrighton & MaltNut.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrighton View Post
    The distillery I work at ordered about 1000 of them with our logo. I think we have them for $7.95. Call out there and see if they will ship some to you. I bought a 6 pack the day they came in, deffinitely worth it. Nice to have them around for when whisky friends come over.

Cedar Ridge
    319-857-4300
    Now I've got another product to look for next time I'm in Iowa.

Quote Originally Posted by MaltNut View Post
    I've got both Glencairn glasses and INAO glasses. It is amazing how the shape of the glass really does change the experience, at least for me. It may just be my imagination but I find that the Glencairn glasses make average whiskey "nose" better --taking the ethanol edge off of some--, while the INAO glasses give you a better idea of the spirit in its entirety, warts and all. Sometimes I use one over the other, but if I could only have one it would be the INAO glasses (and they were half the price of the Glencairn glasses too.)

Oh and first post here, how do you do.
    And thanks to everyone for all the responses so far.

Mike

Virtuoso

Some Scotches have seasonal promotions that have two free Glencairns in a box with the Whisky - sometimes the store has the glasses without the Whisky for a buck or two. In bigger stores always ask.

Trippah and Admin

I know that I'm in the minority here, but I prefer the Riedel Ouverture Bourbon glass over the Glencairn.

They are usually more expensive and harder to find than the Glencairn nosing glass. I got a pair on sale for less than 20 bucks at Party Source so deals can be had on them.

My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Taster

I don't know if you have a Total Wine near you, but I know they have them near me.

http://www.totalwine.com/