Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTKS Wood Tops

WTKS Wood Tops

Anyone been having trouble with the wooden tops on newer batches of WTKS? The wood top broke off of the cork on my newly bought bottle...bought another one a few months later from the same batch, and it also broke off. Ended up modifying the cork with a large screw so that I could get it out every time without a struggle.

Trippah and Admin

Re: WTKS Wood Tops

Quote Originally Posted by jdodso3 View Post
    Anyone been having trouble with the wooden tops on newer batches of WTKS? The wood top broke off of the cork on my newly bought bottle...bought another one a few months later from the same batch, and it also broke off. Ended up modifying the cork with a large screw so that I could get it out every time without a struggle.
    I had a light wood top separate from the cork a couple of years back, but I've not bought one since.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

My buddy had the same problem this past weekend with his new bottle of WTKS. What a pain in the neck! You may want to pick up a nice decanter if you have an ill-fitting replacement cork in place.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

I haven't had it happen in newer WTs but I've had dusties crumble on me plenty. WT is kind of notorious for the crumbling corks. I'm surprised when I open an older WT and it doesn't crumble.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Enthusiast

My pewter top separated from the cork, and I was pissed! That's the coolest bourbon top I've ever seen and mine became a paperweight as I opened it. I decanted that bottle into an OGD 114 bottle, and have since not touched it. One day, many years from now, I'll be glad WT used such lousy corks.
    I come here because you people make me feel normal.

Virtuoso

I had a cork crumble when I pulled the top on a RHF. I called BT just to let them know they might have a problem and they asked me to send them the top. To my surprise they sent me a refund and a new top - and I never even asked for one - I was just trying to be helpful.
    Occasionally Rare Breed and ETL corks break in half and that's not a problem - I just fish out the broken piece. But when they crumble and you have to strain the tiny pieces out it's a pain.
    Corks in dusties seem to break or crumble as often as not.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I haven't had it happen in newer WTs but I've had dusties crumble on me plenty. WT is kind of notorious for the crumbling corks. I'm surprised when I open an older WT and it doesn't crumble.
    That's about where I'm at. I had a RR10/101 bust on me and an hour later a 1997 Rare Breed cork crumble too. Bad words were uttered but I managed to remove both corks from the necks of the bottles with only a speck getting into one of them. Whew!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BBQ+Bourbon View Post
    My pewter top separated from the cork, and I was pissed! That's the coolest bourbon top I've ever seen and mine became a paperweight as I opened it.
    I've been sitting on a pewter top for two years now and I already know the outcome when I eventually decide to crack it open. We'll know for sure next Thanksgiving!

Enthusiast

Just had this happen to me with a light wood top. Very annoying!

Luckily I had an older empty ready to step up to the place. On a side note this also happened to a Jefferson's reserve Presidential 17 yr. I attributed this to maybe being shipped in subzero temps???
    -Kevin

"Why? Because it's delicious!"

Bourbon always did make me feel like a Giant.

Virtuoso

I would be interested to know who made their tops. At Corsair we were getting tops out of Mexico (same place that makes for Jose Quervo I am told). The first several batches were great and then we started getting separation. The last batch was so bad we immediately switched suppliers. Wonder if these instances are connected.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.