Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Punch

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Punch

David Wondrich, the New York-based cocktail writer, has just written "Punch", subtitled "The Delights (And Dangers) Of The Flowing Bowl". Wondrich has an academic background but also worked as a bartender. He has written a number of books on cocktails including "Imbibe", which chronicles the life and career of "Professor" Jerry Thomas, who wrote the first cocktails book in 1862. Wondrich is an excellent writer, who combines academic savvy and attention to detail with an interest in social history and just good plain fellowship. His writing has a good measure of humor too. "Punch" explores the history and attractions of this long-disused sub-set of the world's alcoholic drinks. Wondrich is careful in the introduction to separate the frat party purple punch and Sunday supplement alcohol-less versions from the real things, which are complex, subtle mixtures worked out over the centuries in Britain and America until the long decline of punch set in. It's a great read and essential for anyone with a learned or historical interest in the subject of alcoholic drink. Some 40 punch recipes are included, not least the famous Fish-House Punch of Philadelphia, plus his technique for how to make your own punches, distilled from very wide reading in an obscure literature.

Only $23.95 (U.S.) from Penguin, a bargain.

Gary

P.S. Whiskey punches, both hot and cold, British and American, have an honorable place in this book.
    Last edited by Gillman; 01-23-2011 at 15:39.

Guru

Re: Punch

I lament the idea that punch is not always welcome at a party or gathering. In this day of "specilaized cocktails" and irresponsible drinking, I see the punch bowl that used to be common now just used for very nice elaborate center pieces.

At a recent event that I did we made a rum punch that fit well with the island theme. It was well received. I knew exactly what was in the mix and the content of three rums and fruit juices along with cut fruit both looked and tasted great. One guest insisted that there was not enough kick. The host, not me corrected that by adding more rum to his drink. He was a mess by the the end of the party. Everyone else was fine.

Punches don't have to be heavy or sweet. As Gary said they can be hot as well as cold. They can suit any occaision. I will be looking for this book. Thanks Gary.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Thanks for these notes Marc. Wondrich makes the same point about strength: he states that initially he would leave out some of the water or ice called for, and then found the drink was just too strong. He distinguishes punch from cocktails (meant to be strong and a "short" drink), possets, flips, and other related but not identical preparations.

He situates punch in its historical context, both social/economic (the need for a stimulant that was not too strong) and strictly spirituous (the need to temper the taste of young spirit that was feisty due to basic distillation methods - in effect he argues that punch was a variant on rectifying alcohol).

The Fish-House Punch of Pennsylvania sounds excellent. It is one of the oldest American punches. It is named for a fishing club on the Schuylkill river, historic in its own right, i.e., nothing to do with eating fish as such.

Many of these old mixtures were complex and had tastes that required careful adherence to the original method and ingredients. I may try my hand at one of these soon.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 01-24-2011 at 07:36.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Individualistic cocktails are what freedom-loving Americans want. Punch is for communists.

I know this is true because I heard it on Glenn Beck.

That said, I agree with you guys, but everyone knows I'm not to be trusted.

Guru

Nice.....................what was that sarcastic punctuation thingy, I forget
    Last edited by ILLfarmboy; 01-24-2011 at 20:59.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Individualistic cocktails are what freedom-loving Americans want. Punch is for communists.

I know this is true because I heard it on Glenn Beck.

That said, I agree with you guys, but everyone knows I'm not to be trusted.
    "Punch is for communists". I see money to be made. T shirts and bumper stickers to start.

Bob Marley.

Punch is a communal beverage, that far I will grant.

According to Wondrich, it started on the low end of the social scale and then rose much higher, as is the arc of these things.

Cocktails are more individual in nature but the dividing line isn't really clear, the jug of cocktail was a 1950's stand-by...

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

And the original cocktails were simply punches prepared as individual servings.

Some of your better cocktail bars do "punch service," typically a small bowl that will serve a table.

But many people feel the same way about punch that they do about draft beer. I'm always amazed that someone will buy a bottle of some beer when the exact same beer is available on tap, often at a lower price. Although I was obviously joking before, it is related to the American passion for individualism above all else.

Guru

I see the beer example played out time after time and I just don't understand. I have yet to see the small punch bowl being served at a bar.

I will always want a beer on tap when possible, but that is just me.

Bob Marley.

It's the perception of status, perhaps because all bottled beer originally was from far away (or a certain distance anyway down a rail line), draft was local and rolled over to the bar or brought by, well, draft horse.

Status so often has nothing to do with quality.

Interesting about individualism and beverage alcohol. Drinks writer Michael Jackson once wrote in his inimitable way that thin English pancakes, a dish originally marking Shrove Tuesday, are typically rolled up neatly for eating: this exemplified for him the "insularity" of the English.

I like my pancakes the American way, not thin and splayed out on the plate with an indecorous amount of maple syrup poured on, spiked if possible. (Stu or Doug: did you ever try that with the Cinnamon Whisky?).

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 01-25-2011 at 12:40.