Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Went for some Rye for a change

As I recall from discussions when we last reviewed on SB the 9.090% rules, the U.S. standards of identity state that Canadian whisky for its purposes must be Canadian whisky as sold in Canada (or words to that effect). If that is so, then the argument would go, no GNS can be added to imports because it can't be added for domestic consumption. Perhaps that is the final answer and the circle comes around so to speak. Yet, statements abound, including as we saw on a State liquor board site, seemingly to the contrary. I'm not sure what the ultimate answer is, and while an interesting question, it doesn't really matter IMO because for practical purposes I find a high quality U.S. blended whiskey not that different from a regular Canadian whisky. This is not to say these are inferior to straight whiskey; they are different and have their own attractions.

Gary

Just to elaborate on the last point in my previous message: Most Canadian whisky I've had, even premium brands, has a kind of clean or "fresh alcohol" edge to it. The wood and distillation tastes are certainly there, but this other one pokes out too. I think it must come from the part of the whisky distilled-out at a high proof and aged three years or more generally in small wood (i.e., apart from where two year old whisky or other spirit is added as part of "flavouring"). As someone who likes vodka, and rye vodka in particular (I just bought Zytnia's), I like that taste when that's what I want. Even though Canadian whisky has no GNS when sold in Canada and possibly not a single brand of it sold in the U.S. does, I am good with its character as I find it.

Also, subject to a few American blended whiskeys being similar (like Seagram 7 Crown), Canadian whisky has its own taste. I find it hard to describe but the taste is always a familiar one, kind of like a light bourbon or straight rye with a tobacco- or charcoal-like barrel taste which I think comes from re-used barrels. It is unique and subtle on its own terms. Last night I had some Wiser's De Luxe which was good on its own but I added a dash of Wiser's Legacy to it and it was even better.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 02-04-2011 at 11:52.

Virtuoso

Great discussion re: Canadian whiskies. As a local journalist/radio guy says, "You learn more here by accident than elsewhere by design."

Back to the OP's video:

You commented more than once that you weren't getting much on the noses of these ryes.

May I humbly suggest two things: letting them open up a little longer, (WT Rye can use 15 or 20 minutes in the glass), and adding a splash of water, even as much as a teaspoonful, after you nose them initially*? Again, the Turkey probably benefits the most from this, due to its strength and "tight" nose, but even the Beam has a story to tell when treated properly.

Apologies if this has been covered before.

*I'm not suggesting that water is essential to drinking and enjoying whiskey. But it is pretty essential to nosing it successfully. If you really want to get to know your whiskeys, cut them to 20% abv and spend some time nosing them. (not much good for drinking at that strength, unfortunately).

Guru

I get a slight hint of coco in the nose of Tangle Ridge which I believe is a 100% rye whisky. Does anyone else notice this?

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I'm not sure what the ultimate answer is...
    The ultimate answer would be a statment from all the Canadian producers as to what exactly is in their whisky. Like that's going to happen.

I find a high quality U.S. blended whiskey...
    I wasn't aware there was any such critter.

...not that different from a regular Canadian whisky.
    By "regular" I assume you mean one priced under $13 US.

As I said earlier in the thread, they're functional equivalents in that both are frequently mixed with soft drinks and, I'll add, rarely consumed neat.

When buying something in this category (we do have a couple of friends who like a lightweight whisk(e)y mixed with Seven-Up), I will always buy Canadian. At least the grain spirit component of that is distilled at a lower proof (albeit slightly) and aged at least three years, as opposed to a US blend which uses neutral spirit straight from the still, along with food coloring and water.

If anything deserves the term "brown vodka" it's the latter, and calling it "whiskey" is just plain dishonest. I can't buy into that.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Guru

I have no problem with them so long as they're labeled as blended whisky. Along with bulk Canadians I find them useful as a mixer for guests who don't care for a stronger whisky taste.

Enthusiast

Oh hey all, I see this thread has taken on quite a life of its own. Good thing I guess too! I am not around as often as I use to be it seems...

Opening them up is certainly one that I think does benefit, to some degree I try to swirl and aerate them in my glass sometimes, but sure why not. People talk about letting them stand.. etc..

I have other videos were I did cut the bourbons I was tasting with water which I discussed a little and found little nuances. I've also done that in the past myself with tastings as well. It does make a difference I agree, although I mention I always taste them right away. 4 seems to be about my limit.

Most of the reviews on the bourbons and I guess at this point the rye whiskeys are really very quick first impressions of them right out of the bottle. It probably doesn't make sense for me to sit there for 1/2 hour talking about one whiskey even with editing, perhaps that's a little boring. Dunno maybe not, I am not the only person who does this either. Everyone's got their own style.

The other point is to try the make the videos fun also to some extent and show the enjoyment of drink.

On a second note I am awaiting some Glencairn glasses on order to use in another bourbon tasting of BT, ER, EC12, and VWLotB [VWLotB was the bourbon that started it all for me] (HAH I went acronym on ya!). My current tasting glasses are very tapered and I was thinking they might make the alcohol a little too prominent.

I got a good deal on a set of 4 I think, but I was also concerned about it too cause I am a notorious klutz and I could see myself breaking these glasses (which is why I have about 9 simple small inexpensive snifters).

Well till then, thanks for more education on CDN whisky. Gonna have to nail down some Forty Creek perhaps

Oh and Congrats Garry!
    Visit the search for glory in the bottle: http://imbibehour.blogspot.com/
    My video reviews http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...16DDF465CBC112

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    ThomasH, harshest, T comp, dbk, GOCOUGS2002, Brisko, Imbibehour, ratcheer and sku.
    35 posts in and I've made an impression as a sycophant already! Sweet.
    "Good" may be subjective, but that doesn't mean it's arbitrary.

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by dbk View Post
    35 posts in and I've made an impression as a sycophant already! Sweet.
    Here at SB.com we stress quality over quantity.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

In terms of U.S. blends, I like Seagram 7 Crown, which is quite full-flavoured. I'm sure most don't drink it neat, but it tastes like a lighter straight rye to me.

I also like Barton's blends I find in Kentucky (I guess Tom Moore's now), some of which are reputed to have higher percentages of straight whiskey - I read that once somewhere. The thing too about those, admittedly not widely distributed I believe, is they have a "house" taste, a formula that gives them something distinctive. There is one that is sort of dates-like.

Then there is, also mostly a KY thing, the Bourbon - A Blend category, 51% bourbon the rest GNS.

I'd compare those favourably to the best Canadian whiskies.

Gary