Man I'm on a roll. The BOTM is up on time for the third month in a row!

Let's see if this one will get a few more responses than the last BOTM. There's been a little talk here and there lately about this one, so I thought it would be a good one for BOTM. The BOTM for this month is Old Rip Van Winkle 10 yr 107 proof.

My thoughts FWIW:

Color-A nice medium reddish brown hue that shows it has a couple extra years in the barrel.

Legs-A bit on the thin side, spaced evenly about 1/2 an inch apart. Fairly fast flow down the sides of the glass.

Nose-Ahhh, here's where it starts getting good. What a heavenly aroma. To steal a description from Randy, "ethereal". I get a lot of butterscotch, just a bit of leather and tobacco, and a fruit I can't quite put my finger on. Dates, or raisins perhaps? The nose reminds me of some of the "good ole' stuff" that isn't made anymore.

Taste-My first sip seemed a bit "sharp". The proof seemed to mask the flavors that were present in the aroma. They were still there, but the alcohol covered them up to a degree. But alas, I think I have become a fairly decent student. I let it sit in the glass a few minutes, and that opened it up a lot. The alcohol burn was replaced by more of the flavors that were present in the "nose". A splash of water seemed to bring out the leather, and a touch of wood. A couple of ice cubes brought out more of the tobacco flavor, and actually seemed to take away from the overall goodness of this bourbon. Reckon I'll have to drink this one neat after letting it sit a spell.

Overall, IMHO a great bourbon. Worthy of any bunker. A bit disappointed I only have one bottle.

Cheers and good posting. Joe