Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: BOTM 2/11: Old Rip Van Winkle 10 yr 107 proof

Quote Originally Posted by nivto View Post
    Also, I agree with everybody who says that it needs time to breathe.
    I think all of the Van Winkles stand up well to some time in the glass. And yes, the low end of the Van Winkle line still seems above the high end of most other labels. I don't know how they do it, but I hope they keep on doing it.

Pray for a spring release!

Guru

While I have the ORVW 10/107 in the bunker, it's been at least 2-3 years since I've had one open. A fellow member guilted me into opening one of my bottles so I did, a 2006 vintage. First pour was very nice but the finish seemed a little hot and constricted. I let it sit in the Glencairn for about 20 mins and went back to it. It had opened up nicely and the finish was much better; it had a buttery quality to it that reminded me of DSP414 Old Forester.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    Pray for a spring release!

Virtuoso

I'm a little late to this party, but I do love me some ORVW 10/107!

Advanced Taster

I've been trying a number of the bourbons mentioned here recently. I really like the OWA, but prefer the ORVW 10/107 without question. Both have a punch until the bottle opens up a bit imho.

I can't agree that ORVW is better than the 15 year. I found a bottle recently and have been searching vigorously through KY and TN looking for another bottle; mine is already half depleted. Definitely my favorite bourbon I've had the pleasure to try.

On my search to find more 15 year I was lucky enough to stumble on a bottle of 13 year rye, which is also incredible. It's only been open for 4 days or so and I keep finding myself longingly thinking about it when I've got another drink in my hand.

I've yet to try the 20 and 23 year (I'm a poor student after all), but if I had to choose one line of whiskey to stick with it'd be Van Winkle. Damn they're good!

Disciple

I'm not going to read this thread. All I'm gonna say is I wish I could get some. Sigh.

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Enthusiast

I'd been waiting to reply since I wanted to have 2 or 3 pours of this before I did so. The viscosity is amazing. The flavor is amazing. All of the traditional flavors one would expect. Almost borderlines on butterscotch rather than caramel. I do find the nose a little lacking, but maybe I am just expecting too much since I've been hitting the Lot B recently. I do find the alcohol content to be fairly evident when poured neat. Much more so than OWA at the same proof. Overall, excellent!!! Me like.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by BMartin42 View Post
    I'd been waiting to reply since I wanted to have 2 or 3 pours of this before I did so. The viscosity is amazing. The flavor is amazing. All of the traditional flavors one would expect. Almost borderlines on butterscotch rather than caramel. I do find the nose a little lacking, but maybe I am just expecting too much since I've been hitting the Lot B recently. I do find the alcohol content to be fairly evident when poured neat. Much more so than OWA at the same proof. Overall, excellent!!! Me like.
    Gotta agree with you...ORVW 10/107 is one of my favorite pours...Superb stuff...I can't always find it when I want, so the bottle gets nursed along pretty slowly.
    Never trust a man who doesn't drink.

Taster

OK BOTM - Do Not let me down - you are an elusive little sucker!!!

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by nivto View Post
    Also, I agree with everybody who says that it needs time to breathe.
    I agree completely. In fact, I've never been as enthusiastic as others are about this expression -- but it seems like the second half of the bottle is always MUCH better than the first . . . I'm usually really sad when I"m pouring out the last of one.

Still, I've found the ORVW 10/107 to be a bit thin for such a high proof whiskey and although it seems that water or ice would help smooth it out, as others pointed out, this practice seems to be counterproductive. I don't wanna be negative, I've just never been in love with this one, but it continues to grow on me -- I like it better with every pour.

Bottom line -- I think this is unique dram (it has a cereal grain quality that other wheaters don't seem to share) for the $35 it's a steal and a bottle of this really goes a long way. Nothing like it. Best label in whiskey, also -- Hands Down! A great pick for BOTM - thanks, Joe.
    Last edited by funknik; 02-14-2011 at 20:13.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy