Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: BOTM 2/11: Old Rip Van Winkle 10 yr 107 proof

Can anyone think of a bourbon that this compares to? And I don't mean something that costs three times as much.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Medicfrost View Post
    Great pick. I picked up a bottle at Total Wine ($45) in Orlando while out shopping with the wife today, and brought it home. My dog Titan won't stop sniffing the bottle, so I'm gonna have him help me with the review:

I drank mine out of a glass Glencairn
    Titan drank his out of a tiny shot glass I got in Georgia

Color
    ME: Beautiful honey like color, nice medium orangish-brown.
    Titan: :: pant:: pant:: pant:: pant::

Legs
    Me: 2
    Titan: 4

Smell
    Me: Nice sweet smell, doesn't over power or burn the nose like other higher proof Whiskeys I have. Almost cherry-like.
    Titan: ::sniff::sniff::sniff::

Taste
    Me: Incredibly sweet flavor with a slight burn to the side of my tongue. Leatherlike taste to the back of my tongue that lingers long after the sip. Very nice.
    Titan: :lick:lick:lick: :sniff:sniff: :lick:lick:

Overall:

Me: Never had the 10/107 before. I'm very impressed with it, mainly because I love a sweet bourbon. Will definitely become a regular stock in my cabinet, and may quite possibly become my new daily pour.
    Titan: :: pant:: pant:: pant::

Best review to date!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    Can anyone think of a bourbon that this compares to? And I don't mean something that costs three times as much.

By far Old Weller Antique is the closest I have found. At about $20 a bottle it's a great value and damn tasty.
    -Kevin

"Why? Because it's delicious!"

Bourbon always did make me feel like a Giant.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Best review to date!
    Thank you. Next month I'll get Jezebel the Husky to help me do a review.

Virtuoso

I have to mention here that the 10/107 "was" one of my favorites until I purchased 6 bottles in Albany, NY. Each one has been off and funky. I have to force myself to drink through the bottle. There's still a semblance of its' greatness but just so medicinal. I have one open and 1 left in the bunker. I used to go through a few bottles a month and now I'm lucky if I can force myself to have a few pours a month.
    One last note is I was in NYC over the holidays and saw a 10/90 on the shelf and picked it up in hopes that it was good juice and it was indeed excellent and it was polished off pronto. So I must have just gotten a really rotten case or something.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    I have to mention here that the 10/107 "was" one of my favorites until I purchased 6 bottles in Albany, NY. Each one has been off and funky. I have to force myself to drink through the bottle. There's still a semblance of its' greatness but just so medicinal. I have one open and 1 left in the bunker. I used to go through a few bottles a month and now I'm lucky if I can force myself to have a few pours a month.
    One last note is I was in NYC over the holidays and saw a 10/90 on the shelf and picked it up in hopes that it was good juice and it was indeed excellent and it was polished off pronto. So I must have just gotten a really rotten case or something.
    I thought the last one I had was phenomenal once there was about an inch left in the bottle. A recently opened bottle was a bit medicinal at first, but I poured half of it into an empty bottle for about 2 weeks or so. I definitely thought it changed for the better, but YMMV.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by nblair View Post
    I thought the last one I had was phenomenal once there was about an inch left in the bottle. A recently opened bottle was a bit medicinal at first, but I poured half of it into an empty bottle for about 2 weeks or so. I definitely thought it changed for the better, but YMMV.
    I also feel that this Bourbon is one that needs to have been open for a bit to really come around. Once it has been opened for a couple weeks, I love it. What strikes me is that I find it much more aggressive than both Antique and Pappy 15, which are all the same proof.

It also one of the few Bourbons that I add water to, as I feel this brings out some of the hidden sweetness. With Antique and Pappy 15, the sweetness is obvious, but not so with Old Rip 107.

What I really like about it is that it seems to gives me a different experience every time, and I mean from the same bottle. I can't say that about most others.

Disciple

I spent time last night tasting side by side, recent releases of ORVW 107 and OWA. Quite a lesson in their differences and I'll assume the role of age, barrel selection and brand profile. When compared OWA = sweeter, more citrus (orange/tropical) fruit, sweet candy, cream, higher heat in the mouth and shorter finish. ORVW = eucalyptus, ash, lead pencil, more caramel, more vanilla and more complexity with long dry finish. Both are so good in their own right but ORVW 107 is a top contender for my stranded on an island bourbon and worth the extra $15 to $20 price point.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by chefnash51 View Post
    By far Old Weller Antique is the closest I have found. At about $20 a bottle it's a great value and damn tasty.
    I have to agree...I have a 200 of OWA bottled in 2003 and it tastes remarkably similar. There is more heat and spice with the ORVW, but they have a tremendous amount in common.

Now, as for new OWA...well, so far I'm having trouble finishing the bottle, and am considering what I'll vat it with.
    "Brown eyed women and red grenadine...
    the bottle was dusty but the liquor was clean." -Jerry Garcia

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    As mentioned, Weller Antique 107 is very comparable. I usually have either A107 or ORVW107 in my cabinet. Both are excellent wheaters...Great choice for BOTM.
    Never trust a man who doesn't drink.