Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Greetings from NC

Hello everyone,

I was recently introduced to bourbon by my doctor. That's right, strictly "for medicinal purposes."

Several months back during my annual physical my physician asked me about my drinking habits and I told him that I usually have a glass of wine with dinner, but I have lately been having a beer instead. He asked me what kind of beer and I told him that I prefer pale ales or red lagers. He replied that he also likes "hoppy" beers, but that he had started drinking bourbon. I told him I knew nothing about bourbon or whiskey or scotch and never had much of a taste for them. Too smoky for my likes.

He then proceeded to tell me about bourbon and Tennessee whiskey and why they were much better than scotch - smoother and less smoky. He even went as far as to write me out some recommendation on a prescription pad which I'm hoping you will be able to see here:

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/...escription.jpg

So I went out and bought a bottle of Woodford Reserve to drink on the rocks and Crown Royal to drink with ginger ale. After finding this forum, I purchased a bottle of Rebel Yell and a bottle of Buffalo Trace which I found on a business trip in Florida. Both are pretty good but BT is definitely better. I'm also looking forward to trying some other recommendations (maybe Jim Beam Black, AAA or Old Forester).

I am developing a real taste for bourbon but I still can't drink it neat. I usually have an ounce or two at night on the rocks. I also enjoy with ginger ale but I think it's probably a waste of money to use expensive bourbon to mix.

Kind regards

Novice

Re: Greetings from NC

Welcome. Oh yeah, I need the name of your doctor
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
    PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by Marecha View Post
    [My doctor] even went as far as to write me out some recommendation on a prescription pad which I'm hoping you will be able to see here:

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/...escription.jpg
    That is a great prescription. Although I don't agree with the brands, they are certainly better than the generic equivalent.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Welcome to SB Marecha. It appears you are off to a good start, and headed in the right direction. There's lots of info here. All you have to do is search a bit in some of the old threads. If all else fails, start asking questions. Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Welcome aboard Marecha. There is no rule that you have to drink your whisky neat, I don't except for tasting notes, and some of the guys who make the stuff are on record as drinking their top selections mixed.