Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

whisky glass with "hat"

Does anybody know what this sort of glass cover is called, and where to buy them?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Disciple

Re: whisky glass with "hat"

Looks like a watch cover to me. That one looks a little extreme. More modest ones can be found here:

http://www.cobhthaighceltique.com/Th...0Ordering.html

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The 'hat' isn't a separate item. It's part of a whiskey tasting glass whose design is credited to Michael Jackson. I forget who makes it.

It's not unusual at tastings for the whiskey to be tasted to be poured in advance, maybe as much as several hours in advance. To limit oxidation and evaporation, the classes are covered. Sometimes the cover is a glass disk, other times the disk is cardboard. The glass disks are obviously the fancy way to do it and inspired this design, although it seems a bit superfluous for home use. What are you going to do? Pour it at the bar then cover it as you carry it to your chair, preventing its exposure to the air for all of two minutes?

Connoisseur

They come standard with Ardbeg glasses. However the Ardbeg glass is a stemmed glass, not a Glen Cairn. At the distillery they throw them away. I know because I got a good box full. No, I wont sell any, the box isn't that big and they break easy (I break several per year - sometimes weekly). In fact the box is half empty already, and with the advent of the American Gestapo, er...I mean TSA, I won't be going back to Scotland any time soon. Chuck, I use them to protect my whisky at times like right now. The glass I'm drinking may last me until bedtime. However, as Chuck said, any piece of glass will do, as will good poker chips, old motel keys (which is what I use at the gazebo), etc. And they don't break as easy.
    There's no such thing as bad whiskey, there's only over priced whiskey.

Virtuoso

The glass in question is available on Ardbeg's website for less than $6.00 US.

ARDBEG GLASS
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I just remembered that they call it a "lid," not a "hat." You probably need it when you're drinking Ardbeg, otherwise the aroma will frighten the neighbors.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post
    Darn! - "Out of Stock".
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post

ARDBEG GLASS
    And how much to ship it?????????
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Enthusiast

Both the Glencairn, and also the Ardbeg/Glenmonragie glasses are inspired by the nosing copita glasses used in the industry for...nosing

Blenders use their nose almost exclusively to judge whiskies and select cask to blend together. If you come to any of this blending labs, you'll se this lid as standard equipment. As mentioned here allready I belive there is a multipurpose. To protect the noser and to protect the whisky.

You don't really wan't the aromas from the others samples to disturb you, and you don't really want the whisky to change too much from oxidation

It's more or less just Glenmorangie/Ardbeg glasses that comes with this lid iirc. If you purchase a "professional" nosing copita, they sometimes come with watch glass lid thou

Steffen

Guru

Whem we picked a barrel at Four Roses they used Glencairn glasses with lids for the same reason as macdeffe stated.
    ovh