Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Wheatie Fan Needs Advice

Longtime bourbon drinker here, rather new to site, Been through a lot of threads, but haven't found the answers i seek. My father was a tech-rep who often worked at Stitzel-Weller (around 1970) and our basement was full of Cabin Still (Old Cabin Still?), Old Fitzgerald, and SW products, many of which I spirited away and consumed--and much enjoyed--in my late teens/early 20s. In the intervening years I've gone through Scotch, Irish, rye, cognac, and other phases, while still enjoying bourbon, usually of the well variety (Jim Beam, 10 High, Early Times, and such). But my dad's stock was always my favorite, and judging from the posts I've read, that means I like wheaties best--but not sure what percent of the mash I prefer is wheat; it's till mostly corn, right? So cleaning out my late parents house I found two treasures (still sealed, no apparent evaporation, stored in dark basement, etc.): a cute half-pint of Old Weller 107 and a fifth of Very Old Fitzgerald BIB (barreled 1960, bottled 1968). Would you guys recommend I just break them open and enjoy, or should I re-train my palate with some currently available quality wheaties (or others)? If so, what wheaties are recommended? Thanks. -Chuckles

Enthusiast

Re: Wheatie Fan Needs Advice

I think good whiskey is going to be good whiskey no matter what training regimen you devise for your palate. Since you've have had experience with bourbon before it is not going to be a shock to you. I say crank 'em open and let us know what you think of them. Odds are good you aren't going to find a bottle readily available that will compare to the VOF, anyway.

As far as good, available wheaters go: Check out the Pappy Van Winkle line, the Old Rip Van Winkle line, and anything W.L. Weller.
    Last edited by IronHead; 12-08-2010 at 16:26.
    "F**k it, I'm gettin' into the whiskey."
    -Joe Alvey

when ya sip 'em, maybe sip with some others just for comparison's sake.

I think it would be a good idea to get acquainted with the currant wheated bourbons before you crack those open. I think it will help you appreciate the quality of them better. By the way welcome aboard.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Advanced Taster

Smile Re: Wheatie Fan Needs Advice

Thanks guys. I think I will consume a new wheater for reference and then one of my vintage bottles in January. I actually misread my notes--the Old Weller 107 was an empty fifth. The virgin fifth is VVOF BIB 12yo, barreled '55/bottled '67. The cute little half-pint, still in a box, is the VOF BIB 8yo from '68. Yum, huh?
    Does anyone remember Cabin Still? I drank a lot of that in the day.
    And how much wheat in the mash makes a wheater?
    Need a road trip to Kentucky to learn more.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    Would you guys recommend I just break them open and enjoy, or should I re-train my palate with some currently available quality wheaties (or others)? If so, what wheaties are recommended? Thanks. -Chuckles
    You should sell them on eBay, you could get hundreds and hundreds of dollars for them and at the same time make that buyer extremely happy.
    Then buy a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107 and use the rest of the money for Christmas presents for your Lady, she will show you her appreciation.
    ovh

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    You should sell them on eBay, you could get hundreds and hundreds of dollars for them and at the same time make that buyer extremely happy.
    Then buy a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107 and use the rest of the money for Christmas presents for your Lady, she will show you her appreciation.

Oscar they don't know your joking so give em a break this shit of being beligerent to new mebebers is getting old there is no reason for it so stop it already.
    Last edited by p_elliott; 12-09-2010 at 11:26.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    Oscar they don't know you're an ass So give give the new guys a break
    Check, thanks for keeping me in line.
    But, and this is just between me and you,.... I'm the one who wants to buy it when it hits eBay,... again, keep it on the down low. Thanx!

Really, I wasn't joking, I want it to show up on eBay, really.
    Last edited by OscarV; 12-09-2010 at 12:05.
    ovh

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    ...Would you guys recommend I just break them open and enjoy...
    Yes. You won't find a current wheater in their league (and I think Buffalo Trace makes fine wheaters!). I've had examples near identical to each you note and, unless somehow 'turned', they will be exemplary and, well, good!
    Nothing good can happen to them -- or you -- while they remain in the bottle.

Postscript: Geez -- I just saw you change the identity to VVOF! That sucker's worthless, and I'll give you -- aw, Hell, drink it. It IS yours, after all! (You're just teasin' us, ain't you?)
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 12-09-2010 at 17:23.
    Tim

Enthusiast

Wow what a great bunch of stuff you had down in that basement.

I would savor and drink that like there was no tomorrow. Comparisons are great so by all means grab another wheater (MM).

I am beginning to think I was not a fan of Rye dominance, but I just cracked open some Whistlepig and it was pure heaven (100% Rye whiskey).
    Visit the search for glory in the bottle: http://imbibehour.blogspot.com/
    My video reviews http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...16DDF465CBC112