Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Hybrid View

Apprentice

Similar to Old Charter ??

I picked up a bottle of Old Charter {8yr, I can't find 10yr in NC} on the recommendation of another SB member, and I find that I really like it.

I am asking for a few suggestions of similar bourbons that would be a bit higher in quality. I can tell this does not have the age & character of a few of the others I have in my cabinet, BUT I would very much like to try this flavor profile in a better quality/more refined bottle.

Any good ideas?
    Imagine a world where everything is wonderful, everyone is happy, and there is no strife ....... in other words, a world where everyone has bourbon.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Similar to Old Charter ??

George T Stagg and Eagle Rare are supposed to be the same mashbill.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Apprentice

Thanks, I will check those out, if anyone has any other good ideas, let me know.
    Imagine a world where everything is wonderful, everyone is happy, and there is no strife ....... in other words, a world where everyone has bourbon.

Virtuoso

Don't know how developed your taste in bourbon is yet, but a good one to move from from where you are is Eagle Rare single barrel. 10 years old, like you're looking for. 90 proof, same mashbill. A good barrel is good stuff. If you can find it for 25-30 bucks, it might be worth a try. When I was first starting this game, it was one of my regular go-to pours.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

I'll third the Eagle Rare recommendation. It used to be my main pour. While I've gone in a different direction lately it still remains a staple to my bar.

Apprentice

I have had it before, and I liked it, but my tastes have developed a fair bit over the past several months as I have snooped around here and tried new things. I guess I should probably go after it again. I also need to find some Old Charter 10 yr to compare with the 8 yr.