Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Bulleit...Rye?

Advanced Taster

Re: Bulleit...Rye?

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    The LDI 95 rye is such a different style from something like Rittenhouse because it's made to be an ingredient in a blend. I find it flavorful and interesting but not well balanced. It just wants a bit more corn. Though it's not LDI, I get the same thing from WhistlePig and for the same reason. It was made to be a flavoring whiskey, an ingredient, not a drink in its own right. Age seems to help, as the Templeton and High West versions of the LDI rye are much older than the Bulleit and the Bulleit is older than the Redemption.
    Whistlepig to me is just a massive massive rye with a lot of richness to it. I"d consider it a bourbon drinkers Rye. But I do agree with what your saying about the LDI juice being a high note component for blending. It doesn't need the weight because it wasn't originally intended to "go it alone". I'm sure glad some folks have put it out though, because it's so interesting and tasty.

As for High West, to my knowledge, the LDI juice they used was the 2 year for Double Rye! (younger than Bulleit and in line with Redemption) and the 6 year old for Rendezvous. I am not aware of the other older rye's for their blends being LDI products. Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's only the young ryes that are from LDI.

Reports I've seen indicate this Bulleit Rye being between 4-7 years of age.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I'm pretty confident the Bulleit Rye is 4 years and a day. So at six years for what Templeton and High West are using, that's some of the oldest LDI whiskey that has shown up. In the DD interview, Perkins mentioned that he sourced everything through Pernod, which I found very interesting. Assuming it was whiskey Pernod owned, they may have been responsible for it gaining some extra age, since it belonged to Pernod and LDI couldn't sell it. Wonder if that explains Templeton too, both WRT the age and the supply problems, i.e., Pernod only had so much to sell and everything LDI had was really young. But now we're speculating again.

Whistlepig probably stands for the proposition that age fixes everything, as it's 10 years old. I wonder if that came from Pernod too? They, not Beam, own the Walkerville Distillery.

Guru

Bulleit 95 Rye just showed up on the Michigan list. 90 proof, $24.95.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Enthusiast

I just picked up a bottle that I plan to open on vacation over by the Mississippi. Looking forward to giving it a shot. My wife will try it with ginger ale and I'll be straight. It will be darn fine whiskey just because of that! I got to try a healthy poor at the store before I bought it. The company rep was in and was giving samples. I was presently surprised that it was pretty good as I find that the Bulleit Bourbon is merely OK.
    Last edited by HipFlask; 03-24-2011 at 17:46.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I don't like to try the healthy poor because I feel they have enough trials what with being poor and all.

At least they have their health.

Enthusiast

I picked up a bottle today and have just now gotten into it. I wasn't expecting too much, but I am really impressed. I think it is well balanced and rather full flavored with a long finish. There is more sweetness than I was expecting. I was thinking it would be full of rye and grassy, but did not find that.

At this price range (low 20's) I will definitely buy more.

It's too early to judge, but I may like this better than Baby Saz. It's quite different from Rittenhouse, so harder to judge against.

Great job Bulliet (or LDI) !
    Last edited by BradleyC; 03-24-2011 at 20:04.

wripvanwrinkle

I also like it. The finish has more vanilla and goes on longer than I think it ought too...

Connoisseur

finally saw it for 32 this afternoon, and just had to get a bottle. I have only smelled it so far, smells a lot like our Mckenzie rye, without the sherry. I will post my thoughts as soon as I get into it.

Connoisseur

Just had a good snort of it. A lot lighter than I expected. I got a like of what call honeysuckle on the nose, and honey, clover honey in the taste. I get a lot of spearmint in the taste of it. I am not keen on all of the fancy tasting notes. I guess I am like I have heard Parker Beam say. Tastes like rye to me.

Disciple

Yep. I got tons of spearmint in the bottle I tasted as well.