Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Bulleit...Rye?

Disciple

Re: Bulleit...Rye?

Finally got my bottle of Bulleit rye today, a week late due to a liquor store/ODLC snafu. The liquor store got the bottles last wednesday. I went to get one Thursday and was told they didn't get any. They did get it but couldn't put it out because it wasn't activated in the ODLC's computer system. The joy of of dealing with a state liquor monopoly!

Thomas

Virtuoso

On my second pour now, having snagged a bottle today.

It starts out assertively, no question you're drinking a rye. It hits you up front with everything it's got. Grassy, spicy, peppery rye edge. It never really develops but that edge is there from start to finish.

A little time in the glass deepens the flavors a bit but the edge remains undiminished. The middle is a bit, for lack of a better word, "messy". I'd like to see this hooch after 10 years in a new barrel. If the assertion upthread about aging in used barrels is true I wonder that maybe that choice was made to lessen the influence of tannins on an already "edgy" juice.

Bulleit bourbon has always tasted a bit crude to me and this rye carries a lot of what I have come to know as the profile of Bulleit whiskey. But I kinda dig this somewhat coarse, unrefined rye. What I don't like about the bourbon I like in the rye. One more pour is in order. Cheers to Bulleit.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by Luna56; 04-29-2011 at 22:20.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Set that rumor to rest. Only new barrels were used.

Virtuoso

Glad to know it, Chuck, thanks.

Fat pour of it now, it's growing on me.

Cheers!

Connoisseur

I had my first taste of this at a bar tonight, and was pleasantly surprised.

My experience with rye is pretty limited--RittBIB, OO, VWFRR are the three I've had recently. This is way better than OO, and is apples and oranges with Ritt. (I'm still getting to know the VW).

Ritt always strikes me as sweet for a rye, like a toffee with a slightly spicy finish. Bulleit was way fresher: minty, piney, maybe a bit of citrus. I gave it to my wife and asked her what she tasted and she said, "Cherries."

I liked it and might buy a bottle to give it a tasting at home. But the price is tough: $32, as compared to $20 for RittBIB. I'd give the nod to Ritt no matter what, but that it's 1/3 less makes Bulleit that much less appealing.

I get the sense that they aren't selling to me, a whiskey nerd, so maybe they don't care that I won't buy this much. But I might buy regularly if it was $25.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Disciple

I keep coming back to this, and other LDI whiskey. All I get is mint mint mint, and then rye. Interesting, but they are starting to become monotonous.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I agree with Tom's remarks.

By the way a Rittenhouse BIB (current issue) tasted last night at Sampler Gazebo was superb. I added a touch of water, which brought it to perfection.

Gary

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I keep coming back to this, and other LDI whiskey. All I get is mint mint mint, and then rye. Interesting, but they are starting to become monotonous.
    I love the mint (especially found in RR Rye) - and the pine cleaner. But the LDI offerings are fairly one dimensional, and comparatively over priced for most folks (although I can find Bulleit for about $23).

With WT101 Rye, Ritt BIB and with some searching even RR Rye & Baby Sazfor $25 and under, and Redemption & Bulleit appearing to be slightly higher than that, it makes it hard to consider them for regular pours.

Even R(1) has dropped in most places to below $25 - so what niche is a $28-$32 bottle of Bulleit & Redemption trying to fill? I like them for experimental purposes - and have enjoyed them, but neither is close to replacing the Ritt, WT or Russels, IMHO - even at the same price point.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Some people think the more rye the better, but I believe a straight rye needs that corn backbone. I'd like someone to do a 65/25/10 rye. I think that may be all the rye you want. 95 to 100 percent is too much.

Advanced Taster

I just bought a bottle last weekend. I like it, and certainly welcome another readily available rye on the local grocery store shelves. I would buy Sazerac over Bulleit though. The mintyness on the nose and when it first hit your mouth is a little much for me. I don't drink many cocktails, but I could see Bulleit being a go to rye for cocktail drinkers and bartenders.