Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Bulleit...Rye?

Re: Bulleit...Rye?

They are carrying this in the Maryville MO Hy Vee already. I forgot to check the price.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Advanced Taster

Just got a hold of the Bulleit Rye. I won't get into thoughts on transparency and what level of it the folks at Bulleit are at with this product, but I can say without question that it's a fine fine rye. Very unique and has a similar entry to the Double Rye! from High West - lots of gin botanicals, pine, spearmint, and floral flavors backed up mightily with fruit and vanilla spiked honey. It's truly delicious and a great value in my opinion.

I'm impressed by it. LDI makes some damn good whiskey. Maybe Chuck will get a peak inside some time after his recent post, and we'll learn more about how they do what they do.

Connoisseur

All of the rye I have tasted from ldi has been really good stuff. I get a distinct dill weed note. I get it some for a few minutes when I run our rye.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    All of the rye I have tasted from ldi has been really good stuff. I get a distinct dill weed note. I get it some for a few minutes when I run our rye.
    I can absolutely see that. There's a very very green, fresh, herbal, floral nose and flavor to LDI's 95% rye. Even some of the older stuff, which I believe the Bulleit Rye is, has retained that flavor. A few years extra aging hasn't yanked it all out. For me, it's super interesting and I've always enjoyed it. Folks that have steered clear of rye, equating it with heat and over the top spice should give this a try. Little burn to speak of, just full of high note flavor and subtly sweet.

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    While nosing my Templeton rye tonight, I was picking up a dill pickle note as well.

Too funny.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    While nosing my Templeton rye tonight, I was picking up a dill pickle note as well.

Too funny.
    Well there you go! Looking forward to sipping some this week and checking that out.

Taster

I have to say that I am one of those really big fans of the tase of rye whiskey. My favorite whiskey is Sazerac 18 and a close second is the Van Winkle Ramily Reserve Rye. These are both expensive and hard to find (I am fortunate to have a few bottles of each) so I have been looking for more available and affordable ryes. I have all of the ryes that are available here in Atlanta (Beam, WT, Old Overholt, High West, etc.) and also ordered some Templeton to check that out. I have now learned (from reading here) that the Templeton and High West ryes are from LDI.

All that said, here comes the Bulleit Rye to Atlanta and wow what great flavor at an affordable price! I am really pleased with this whiskey. I have found my daily rye. I tasted some of the Templeton batch 2 and thought the flavor was great so I ordered some but could only get batch 3 and didn't like it quite as much. Now that I have the Bulleit, I need to open another of the Templetons and compare it to the High West and the Bulleit. Which High West is the most comparable to the Templeton?

Irreverent One

OLCC price list for April posted today. Still don't see it.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    They are carrying this in the Maryville MO Hy Vee already. I forgot to check the price.
    Hy-Vee's generally carry Bulleit bourbon around here, I'm hoping they get the rye. I bet they do, given Iowa's sudden insatiable thirst for rye whiskey.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The LDI 95 rye is such a different style from something like Rittenhouse because it's made to be an ingredient in a blend. I find it flavorful and interesting but not well balanced. It just wants a bit more corn. Though it's not LDI, I get the same thing from WhistlePig and for the same reason. It was made to be a flavoring whiskey, an ingredient, not a drink in its own right. Age seems to help, as the Templeton and High West versions of the LDI rye are much older than the Bulleit and the Bulleit is older than the Redemption.