Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Dallas Store Suggestions...?

Howdy,

Just relocated back to Dallas (North Dallas/McKinney area) after being away for 20 years! Coming down from Michigan, so yes - I brought this weather with me...

Anyhow, looking for some good tips on stores I should scope out - I enjoy Scotch as well as Bourbon, specialty bottlings, and most importantly great prices on good stuff. Found R1 for $22 at the Goody Goody In Anna/Melissa the other night along with a great price on a cool bottle of Scotch.

Unusual, rare, and specialty bottlings are of interest - but mostly just stores that get Van Winkle, BTAC and the other "standard" type stuff at fair prices.

Appreciate any tips or leads - would like to stick around N. Dallas, but as any good Whisk(e)y lover knows - I'll drive far and wide for good stuff at good prices!

Thanks in advance! and Gig 'Em (yes, I'm an Aggie...)

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Re: Dallas Store Suggestions...?

The Goody Goody store on Greenville Ave in Dallas wouldn't be too far and usually gets the stuff you're looking for (it's one of the larger stores they have). Unfortunately, the bottles were released awhile back. There's a Sigels up in the Addison area that's worth going to.

Randy

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Welcome back to Texas; what took you so long? I figured it out in just 9 years. The Texas TABC website has a page that lets you see all stores with current permits - http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/publicinquiry/Roster.aspx. Might be helpful if you want to do some dusty hunting.

We also have a Houston bourbon get together scheduled for May 7th at my house. If you are interested in coming down, shoot me a PM for details.

FYI- Randy & I are also both Aggies.

Wade

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    Welcome back to Texas; what took you so long? I figured it out in just 9 years. The Texas TABC website has a page that lets you see all stores with current permits - http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/publicinquiry/Roster.aspx. Might be helpful if you want to do some dusty hunting.

We also have a Houston bourbon get together scheduled for May 7th at my house. If you are interested in coming down, shoot me a PM for details.

Wade
    Glad to be home! And to so easily find other Aggies!

My wife is from Houston, so we'll be down there often to visit her side of the family - I love the Specs downtown. It's one of the finest liquor stores in all my travels from LA to Chicago to NY to Kentucky (The Party Source). On par with Binny's even - minus the 'hand picked' selection.

Thanks for that link - very helpful.

I've got more than my fair share of BTAC this year - I had great resources and contacts up in MI, just looking for the kinds of places that get that stuff so I can be sure to start sucking up ASAP - I like to make friends with my liquor store people, and pick a handful of shops to frequent and favor.

I've been to Sigels in Addison - waaaaay overpriced. The Goody Goody there was rock solid in pricing, and better selection - but that was last June, so could have changed.

Going to hit the Colony stores today - see how they look. Only a 20 minute drive.

Thanks for the response guys - and for the bourbon tasting invite! I may just have to schedule another visit with the in-laws (bourbon would make it worth it!)

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    My dad was a Dallas police officer, and was telling his lieutenant the latest Aggie joke he had heard. Said lieutenant's face kept getting redder and redder. When my dad finished up the joke, the lieutenant muttered, in a very irritated voice, "My son goes to A&M !"

I think my dad said he hotfooted it out of there.

I also agree with the Goody Goody recommendation. They have lots of good stuff.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    Thanks in advance! and Gig 'Em (yes, I'm an Aggie...)
    Sic 'em, Bears!

I remember Centennial Wine & Spirits in the Colony having decent prices, but I haven't lived in Dallas since January of 2009, so that may have changed. I agree that the Addison stores are overpriced - I guess that's what happens when they are beside a dry county!
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEdwards View Post
    I also agree with the Goody Goody recommendation. They have lots of good stuff.
    Any other suggestions, Mark? The Goody Goody in The Colony had Weller 12 yr - a "new to me" treat - we didn't have that up in Michigan! And it was relatively cheap, too. Skipped the Centennial, because the wife & kids were getting itchy.

Connoisseur

Any other suggestions, Mark? The Goody Goody in The Colony had Weller 12 yr - a "new to me" treat - we didn't have that up in Michigan! And it was relatively cheap, too. Skipped the Centennial, because the wife & kids were getting itchy.
    Unfortunately, I don't get to Dallas very often, but there are loads of liquor stores in Dallas. If you find one liquor store, there will be 20 more on the same street.

Enthusiast

Thanks, Mark! Takes some getting used to this "wet/dry area" thing they have in Dallas. No place else I've lived in had it, and I haven't lived in Dallas since I was old enough to legally partake - all the other Texas cities (and elsewhere I've lived) are fully wet...

Pretty dang backwards for the 5th largest metro area in America!

I'll enjoy exploring...

Any social gatherings/clubs here in DFW for Whisk(e)y I should look into?

Connoisseur

Any social gatherings/clubs here in DFW for Whisk(e)y I should look into?
    Check out the Goody Goody website. They have a calendar of tastings for various things, including bourbon. In fact, Majestic and Centennial may have something similar.

I don't know of any bourbon socials to speak of - I'd love to hear about any myself.