Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    wripvanwrinkle

Breckenridge Bourbon Whiskey

While at the liquor store today, I spotted an unfamiliar bottle. “Breckenridge Bourbon Whiskey”, from the Breckenridge Distillery from (you might have guessed it) Breckenridge, Colorado. My mind was momentarily set a fire with dreams of tasting a new local distillate. But then my eyes saw the “2 year” statement and disappointment started to set in. Is it possible that this whiskey could have slipped my radar for so long?

I passed, preferring to do a little research before pulling the trigger. After visiting their website, the producer is clear that the whiskey was sourced:

http://www.breckenridgedistillery.com/home/breckenridge-vodka/

I’m a supporter of our local micro-distilleries. I enjoy the opportunity of tasting something that is both distinctive and unique. We have distillers like Peach Street that offer a superb 2 year old Bourbon (a fantastic dram mind you, that I gleefully present to all of my out of town whiskey loving friends with the pride of a high school football fan gloating over the next soon to be home town hero.)

I really appreciate those producers that sell sourced or mingled whiskey.

But I suppose that today I picked a side of the fence regarding the whole “selling someone else’s product while mine is aging issue.” Small distillers please don’t mix the two approaches.

I suppose that I have started to feel duplicity within the approach.

I understand that you might need some funding, but why build your reputation on something that was not yours? You are targeting the local consumer, who is going to buy the product with home town pride. In doing so you are diluting purchases from those local distillers who are making what bears their name.

Producers, please continue to sell excellent sourced whiskey. Small distillers, if you choose to do so then please don’t include your distillery’s name within the product’s name.

For now though, I am going to wait a couple of years as their own whiskey continues to age. I eagerly await the results.

[edit: fixed format]
    Last edited by wripvanwrinkle; 02-12-2011 at 14:20.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Breckenridge Bourbon Whiskey

In the future please hit the "remove formatting button" looks like an "A" crossed out, so people can actually read your post regardless of what forun style (color style) they are using. black on charcoal in not fun to read.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by wripvanwrinkle View Post

But I suppose that today I picked a side of the fence regarding the whole “selling someone else’s product while mine is aging issue.” Small distillers please don’t mix the two approaches.

I suppose that I have started to feel duplicity within the approach.

I understand that you might need some funding, but why build your reputation on something that was not yours? You are targeting the local consumer, who is going to buy the product with home town pride. In doing so you are diluting purchases from those local distillers who are making what bears their name.

Producers, please continue to sell excellent sourced whiskey. Small distillers, if you choose to do so then please don’t include your distillery’s name within the product’s name.

For now though, I am going to wait a couple of years as their own whiskey continues to age. I eagerly await the results.

[edit: fixed format]
    Formatting issues aside, well put.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

I really don't care where it comes from as long as it is disclosed as sourced. If it tastes good I'm an appreciative purchaser.

wripvanwrinkle

In general Sailor, I agree with you. I will continue to buy the current expression of Whistle Pig as long as it exists. I enjoy Heaven Hill, regardless of whose name is on the label. Heck, I don't even take issue with Templeton...as I think that they have little intent to bottle anything of their own. I certainly could care less if a big distillery blends in another big distilleries ouput, as long as their profile remains the same.

But to me, part of appeal of a small distillery is the promise of something unique.

Futhermore, I feel that there is something of a bait and switch going on. What will the small distilery who chooses this route ultimately do, release a batch of follow up whiskey called "My Home Town Distillery Bourbon (But This Time Actually Distilled By Me!)".

Guru

I'm waiting for a producer to come out with a good vatting.

wripvanwrinkle

Not a bourbon, but I would say that the recent releases of VWFRR13 are a pretty fine vatting. Again, not bourbon...but Compass Box has never done me wrong either.

Guru

I was thinking of a vatting of whiskys produced by different distilleries creating more complexity than the product of a single distilery.

Guru

And I wouldn't mind if the vatting included ryes.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

That's essentially what the yellow/beige label Four Roses is, a vatting of ten or more different bourbons ("more" because they sometimes use one of the 10 recipes at two different ages). Their single barrel, small batch and limited edition iterations get all the attention but the basic Four Roses is a superb whiskey.