Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    840

    Old Rip bottle change?

    Can anyone tell me when (& why?) Old Rip switched from the older
    tall "Pappy" bottle shown on the left to the newer "squat" bottle?


    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.

  2. #2
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    1,198

    Re: Old Rip bottle change?

    I believe the taller one on the left was the export edition. Probably 700ml
    Cheers,

    Scott

    Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

  3. #3
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,722

    Re: Old Rip bottle change?

    Quote Originally Posted by birdman1099 View Post
    I believe the taller one on the left was the export edition. Probably 700ml
    Yes thatís perfectly right Scott. Both have been available here, but the squat was sold out years ago and the other is almost impossible to find anymore as well.

    Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

  4. #4
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    840

    Re: Old Rip bottle change?

    Quote Originally Posted by birdman1099 View Post
    I believe the taller one on the left was the export edition. Probably 700ml
    That explains why I saw it listed on a UK website. I thought maybe it
    was an earlier version that preceded a switch to the shorter bottle.

    Thanks.
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.

  5. #5
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    326

    Re: Old Rip bottle change?

    Quote Originally Posted by birdman1099 View Post
    I believe the taller one on the left was the export edition. Probably 700ml
    Guess you can cram a lot more thin, uniform bottles in a small box for export...

  6. #6
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    223

    Re: Old Rip bottle change?

    I'm glad to hear that this isn't a change to the tall bottles. I really like the look of the squat old bottles with the old school label. The antique label doesn't work as well on the tall new looking bottle.

  7. #7
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,622

    Re: Old Rip bottle change?

    The squat bottle is called a "barrel bottle" and was the trademark of the Van Winkle family's Stitzel-Weller Distillery. Every Stitzel-Weller brand used it and that was one of the ways you knew it was Stitzel-Weller. When the family sold the distillery but retained the Old Rip brand name, and JPVW Jr. began his bottling operation at the old Hoffman Distillery, he adopted the barrel bottle. His son, JPVW III, kept the barrel bottle but also added a tall bottle, more like a wine bottle. That bottle is the exception, the barrel bottle is the rule.

  8. #8
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,722

    Re: Old Rip bottle change?

    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    The squat bottle is called a "barrel bottle" and was the trademark of the Van Winkle family's Stitzel-Weller Distillery. Every Stitzel-Weller brand used it and that was one of the ways you knew it was Stitzel-Weller. When the family sold the distillery but retained the Old Rip brand name, and JPVW Jr. began his bottling operation at the old Hoffman Distillery, he adopted the barrel bottle. His son, JPVW III, kept the barrel bottle but also added a tall bottle, more like a wine bottle. That bottle is the exception, the barrel bottle is the rule.
    I like the barrel bottle better as it's a screw cap on it.

    Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

  9. #9
    Taster
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Celebration, FL
    Posts
    78

    Re: Old Rip bottle change?

    I prefer the barrel bottle also. What is the story with that label on the barrel bottle in the picture? Is that an older style label, or are they changing the current label?

  10. #10
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    495

    Re: Old Rip bottle change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Medicfrost View Post
    I prefer the barrel bottle also. What is the story with that label on the barrel bottle in the picture? Is that an older style label, or are they changing the current label?
    I believe that is the standard 90 Proof label. The 90 Proof and 107 Proof expressions have different labels.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Went for some Rye for a change
    By imbibehour in forum Other American Whiskey Tastings
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 05-01-2011, 20:34
  2. Will bourbons taste change in an unopened bottle?
    By DrinkD in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-05-2003, 19:56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top