Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Allocation News From Templeton Rye

Thanks to the Iowans and others setting me straight. I saw a bottle today that was approaching $50 if my memory serves me right... I grabbed a VWFRR instead.
    If anyone in Iowa needs some, come on down to Chicago.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

It's in all the bars too. There's plenty in Chicago.

So there, Iowa!

Virtuoso

And I saw a few bottles a day ago with a little sign saying it was allocated and hard to get and "Are you worthy?"
    I decided I wasn't and grabbed something else.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy38 View Post
    And I saw a few bottles a day ago with a little sign saying it was allocated and hard to get and "Are you worthy?"
    I decided I wasn't and grabbed something else.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

I saw Templeton Rye in the West Des Moines, IA COSTCO last year for $28 a bottle. They haven't had any that I've seen since last summer.

The Iowa distributors are a bit weird though. I can find Michelob Amber Bock everywhere but I can't find Michelob Classic Dark anywhere. I think it's still made but at a big grocery store chain the guy in charge of the liquor department said it's just not available through the distributor for the Des Moines area. On the surface it's odd but perhaps there is a reason.

Advanced Taster

As a native Iowan, it is frustrating to see this very high pedestal people put Templeton on. Especially because in my eyes its a $30 whiskey max. And Paul is right, it is kinda of fun to blow people's minds and tell them its not actually made in Iowa, but Indiana. And hey, if they don't believe you, you can just tell them to go watch the youtube video they made that shows it being made at LDI.
    -Andy

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." - The Dude

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I've gone through a whole range of emotions. Now I think it's cute, like little kids believing in Santa Claus.

I got an email from internet wines they have a special on Templeton Rye for $49.99 a bottle and have 300 bottles. They still have 300 bottles as far as I'm concerned.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Virtuoso

Had the opportunity to try this over the weekend.

It was a nice pour, but nothing special to write home about. And for what I say it go for in the stores, I'm not going to be picking one up anytime soon for what is in the bottle.

The biggest shock came to me when I got the bill, for what I paid for two glasses, I was halfway to purchasing a bottle in the store. Couldn't believe that they had this as the most expensive Bourbon on the menu.

But, it was all part of the experience. Besides, the veal chop was excellent.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Advanced Taster

Bourbon is my preferred whiskey, and I like wheaters best, but enjoy rye for a change of pace now and then. Early this year I was gifted with a bottle of Templeton and told how lucky I was to get one (it's widely available in Illinois, but pricey, so I'm lucky I didn't have to pay for it). Finally opened it over the weekend and found not much to back all the hype. The whiskey seems immature (okay, young) and weak (in proof and flavor). This will be sitting around for a while and I'm now planning to buy a rye I know I'll like to remind me why I like it.