Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Sam Adams Utopias

Is there anyone here that has had it and liked it?

I read a couple threads, and it appears no one liked it... but if you google tasting notes, it rates very well. RateBeer.com gave it a 100.

So, whats the deal with this stuff?
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Apprentice

Re: Sam Adams Utopias

It was.....different, at the time I was just a beer drinker, and it was very hot to me at only 50 proof. I was not a huge fan but most people I know raved about it, probably because they paid over 100 for a bottle of beer. My advice is spend that on a bottle of Whisk(e)y and you will be getting a better sip.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

It's a very special product, that demands an appreciation for diverse types of beverages. Most people just won't get it. You have to be able to enjoy it for what it is, and not what you expect it to be. If you're ever the type to say you don't like a particular style, be it lagers, Belgians, sours, barleywines, Scotch, Irish, Rye, Gin, etc. go ahead and add this to the list.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Virtuoso

well, I went back and asked for the price, and it was at $229 plus tax.

I think I'll let it sit there for a few more years !!!!

Thanks guys for the replys
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Disciple

I love that stuff. When I bought it we did split it between 10 guys. I will try to arrange it the same way if it shows up again at our government store.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Connoisseur

Re: Sam Adams Utopias 2011

Sipping some now.

It is a dark reddish brown in color. No carbonation at all.

The nose reminds me of Liquid Smoke, with alcohol added. Occasional whiffs of cold bacon.

It has a very light sweetness, with a sort of sour milk taste to it.

Overall, not bad, but I think it's something that you have to get used to. Certainly outside my usual preferences.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Enthusiast

Whatever anyone else says I will NEVER look at freeze distilled spirits as a beer, the same way as I NEVER would call a whiskey a beer..

That said the Utopia isn't too bad. It's not a beer, nor as good as whisky which make it somewhat a pointless product (beside its marketing value). Price considered off course

Steffen

Enthusiast

Ha!

Funny you should mention this -- I got a bottle of this 2011 release for Christmas!

It's certainly is nothing like beer. It is nothing like whiskey. Some have compared it to cognac, due to its sweetness. I would compare it to a Port. And I would drink it in a situation where you would drink a Port as well.

I certainly wouldn't call it "hot", especially for any of us who drink distilled spirits on a regular basis -- it's bottled at 27% alcohol, after all.

The mouthfeel is *dense* -- almost to the level where you could call it syrupy, but it doesn't quite reach that point. You get a dark cherry on the front, followed by a body of maple syrup, molasses, molasses, and toasted marshmallow. There's some spice and complexity to it, but it's subtle and I only had one glass (and I have a bit of a cold) so I can't give you a really good set of notes just yet. Maybe in a couple of weeks.

My feelings? Definitely something to try for the port or heavier dessert wine lover who wants something different. Good for an after-dinner drink, or as something to try for the beer enthusiast to see "what would happen if...?" I applaud their effort and will enjoy it on occasion in the future. And I hate to say this. I really hate to say this. But the decanter really is cool.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by macdeffe View Post
    Whatever anyone else says I will NEVER look at freeze distilled spirits as a beer, the same way as I NEVER would call a whiskey a beer..

That said the Utopia isn't too bad. It's not a beer, nor as good as whisky which make it somewhat a pointless product (beside its marketing value). Price considered off course

Steffen
    Utopias is naturally fermented and not freeze distilled.

Enthusiast

My mistake, sorry for the rant!

Steffen