Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Martini: Calling Gary Gillman, et al...

My favorite Martini is a Bombay Sapphire made at 3 to 1 with a good dry Vermouth and 3 large olives. A splash of olive juice sometimes.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

It's great to see all the expertise displayed here. It's true that the drink can be made quickly and simply, but attention to detail, no matter how simple or complex the recipe, does result in a superior product.

A cold Martini, however made but provided it is well-made, would be a good palate cleanser for any SB gathering.

Gary

Guru

In place of olives you can try a caperberry. That is just a very large stemmed version of the caper and looks great the glass. It has a distinct flavor that you may or may not like.

I also had a button down martini that featured vermouth soaked button mushrooms, 3 to exact skewered as a garnish. Nice sub for the olive.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    It's great to see all the expertise displayed here. It's true that the drink can be made quickly and simply, but attention to detail, no matter how simple or complex the recipe, does result in a superior product.

A cold Martini, however made but provided it is well-made, would be a good palate cleanser for any SB gathering.

Gary
    One guy I know likes the way he makes his martinis. He calls it his 10-12 minute get home "ritual" of sorts.
    Visit the search for glory in the bottle: http://imbibehour.blogspot.com/
    My video reviews http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...16DDF465CBC112

Guru

Good topic Tim, being a traditionalist here are mine:

1. Plymouth Gin, Noilly Pratt vermouth, 3/1 mixture, shaken with ice (doesn't bruise the gin), poured into a chilled martini glass (best kept in the freezer ready for use) and a green olive garnish.

2. Beefeater Gin, Noilly Pratt, same proportions and prepared as above with lemon peel twist rubbed on the rim and snapped into the glass.

3. Any gin, any white vermouth, made as above and poured into a glass prepared by swirling a small amount of other liquor or liqueur.

Wow, lots of great responses (many thanks, Gary and others) and food for drink (or, is it thought?)
    Anyway, I'm a slow learner, so tonight, I simply learned that I didn't find the Nieuw Amsterdam/M&R dry vermouth combo superior to Gordon's/Noilly Prat.
    I DID swish some Worstecjes'ewoprer (or whatever) sauce around, and it's added some interest -- but I don't think I think I liked it 'better'. Like I said, I'm a traditionalist, and it may be innate, not acquired.
    Just let me get some really good ingredients, and watch me go...
    Tim

Guru

Thumbs up Re: Martini: Calling Gary Gillman, et al...

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Just let me get some really good ingredients, and watch me go...
    I would like to see that, Tim.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I like a 4:1 ratio, but 5:1 is okay too. I do like to mess around with different gins and have New Amsterdam on the bar now. Noilly is my vermouth of choice. I've been enjoying jalepeno-stuffed olives lately, but garnish-free is okay too. A friend of mine from years ago called martinis "crystal num nums." I only have them up and very cold.

I came up in the era when, for some reason I've never understood, people played all kinds of games with calling gin on the rocks a very dry martini. Why they couldn't just order gin on the rocks is beyond me. There were a million jokes, "he pours the gin in the glass and whispers the word 'vermouth.'" That sort of thing.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I came up in the era when, for some reason I've never understood, people played all kinds of games with calling gin on the rocks a very dry martini. Why they couldn't just order gin on the rocks is beyond me. There were a million jokes, "he pours the gin in the glass and whispers the word 'vermouth.'" That sort of thing.
    The classic version on this story is of course my favorite about Winston Churchill. He would enjoy his martinis in the ratio thusly:

Grab a bottle of gin. Place a bottle of French Vermouth on the table in eyesight and glance at it.

Make drink.

Yes I am paraphrasing but you get the idea
    Visit the search for glory in the bottle: http://imbibehour.blogspot.com/
    My video reviews http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...16DDF465CBC112

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by imbibehour View Post
    The classic version on this story is of course my favorite about Winston Churchill. He would enjoy his martinis in the ratio thusly:

Grab a bottle of gin. Place a bottle of French Vermouth on the table in eyesight and glance at it.

Make drink.

Yes I am paraphrasing but you get the idea
    Same here. I've heard a similar story...Again paraphrasing, after pouring the gin in the glass, Churchill turned to face in the direction of France...nodded his head...and drank. Not to get off topic here, but, Churchill is one of those people I'd really like to go back in time, and be a fly on the wall.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama