Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Wild turkey Russells reserve rye vs WT rye 101

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    ... I haven't had the 101 Rye in some time but tasted the RR for the first time at the distillery tour a few weeks ago and enjoyed it enough to have added one to the bunker (way to many already open, to open). Gary Gillman clued me in to what he called its feminine nature as a rye whiskey.
    A trip to the KY bourbon trail & visit to the Wild Turkey distillery is definitely on my "to do" list. You mention that "Gary Gillman clued me in to what he called its feminine nature as a rye whiskey" - is he referring to the softer, smoother, more floral characteristics that attributed to Russell's Reserve 6 yr. Rye?

Thanks,

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Shell View Post
    A trip to the KY bourbon trail & visit to the Wild Turkey distillery is definitely on my "to do" list. You mention that "Gary Gillman clued me in to what he called its feminine nature as a rye whiskey" - is he referring to the softer, smoother, more floral characteristics that attributed to Russell's Reserve 6 yr. Rye?
    Yep, pretty much close to his follow up adjectives as we were taking our first sip. You get to choose having two small pours into plastic shot cups out of about five or six products set out and briefly described. One of them was the honey liqueur. We chose the KS and RR rye. The KS they were pouring was from a barrel that seemed a little disjointed to both of us. They also had some tasty lemonade, with no limit on pours. The exquisite smells of the old rick house are not to be missed.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Trippah and Admin

I wouldn't hit a dead dog in the ass with my bottle of WT 101 rye, but I've killed more than one RR rye here at home. Either my bottle of 101 is an outlier or the extra 2 years in the wood soften the blow considerably.

For some reason, this is the only bottle that I've purchased that I have such strong feelings about. I've tried it up, neat, on the rocks, and mixed with ginger ale and I still get that freshly punched in the throat feeling every time.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    I wouldn't hit a dead dog in the ass with my bottle of WT 101 rye, but I've killed more than one RR rye here at home. Either my bottle of 101 is an outlier or the extra 2 years in the wood soften the blow considerably.

For some reason, this is the only bottle that I've purchased that I have such strong feelings about. I've tried it up, neat, on the rocks, and mixed with ginger ale and I still get that freshly punched in the throat feeling every time.
    Is that the only bottle of WT101Rye that you've ever had a taste from?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    I wouldn't hit a dead dog in the ass with my bottle of WT 101 rye,
    What's the point, he's already dead.

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Yep, good question. I love WT Rye 101 on the rocks, it's an instant cocktail.
    ovh

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Yes.

With 2/3 of a bottle left, I'm not looking to purchase another just to quality check the original acquisition.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Taster

After reading through this thread, I realized that it has been a long time since I have tasted the rye that brought me to try rye in the first place: WT 101 Rye. A few months back when it disappeared from the shelves, I was afraid the new owners of WT had decided not to distriburte it any more. At that point I got a case and started to sit on it. I haven't had any since!

Then all these new ryes started to come out like Templeton, High West, Redemption, and Bulleit, diverting attention away from my original favorite reasonably priced rye (I still love the Saz 18). This thread has convinced me to go back home to the WT rye and try it after drinking all that Bulleit Rye and High West Rendezvous. I also want to compare the WT 101 Rye to the Russell's Reserve Rye to see if I like it any better than I used to.

Results to follow....

Ray in Atlanta

Connoisseur

Just picked up a bottle of RR rye Friday and found it very enjoyable. While I really like the flavor and extra proof of the 101 rye, I found the RR rye to be smoother and a nice mellow pour. I think I'll drink the RR rye when I want something to sip on and relax and the 101 rye for evenings when I want a stronger, more commanding drink. My favorite ryes (from best to least)?

1. Rittenhouse BIB
    2. WT 101 rye
    3. Pikesville
    4. RR rye
    5. Old Overholt
    6. Michter's rye
    7. "Baby" Sazerac
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    Just picked up a bottle of RR rye Friday and found it very enjoyable. While I really like the flavor and extra proof of the 101 rye, I found the RR rye to be smoother and a nice mellow pour. I think I'll drink the RR rye when I want something to sip on and relax and the 101 rye for evenings when I want a stronger, more commanding drink. My favorite ryes (from best to least)?

1. Rittenhouse BIB
    2. WT 101 rye
    3. Pikesville
    4. RR rye
    5. Old Overholt
    6. Michter's rye
    7. "Baby" Sazerac

Ethan,
    I have to agree that the RR and 101 ryes are quite different but I like them both but for different occasions. As for the Pikesville on your list, I was amazed how different in taste that was for such a cheap rye! Unfortunately, I can't get it here in Atlanta so I have to go to Tennessee to stock up. Is the Michter's rye on your list the US*1 Single barrel rye? Unfortunately, I found this to be thin and tasteless. I have one open (and another unopened) but haven't tried this in a long time. Perhaps I'll have to revisit it. I have been told to try their other rye but it is much moree expensive so I have not pulled the trigger on it as of yet.

My list of cheap ryes would be:
    1. Bulleit rye
    2. WT 101 rye
    3. Pikesville
    4. High West Rendezvous
    5. RR rye
    6. Rittenhouse BIB
    7. "Baby" Sazerac
    8. Jim Beam rye

Slainte Mhath
    Ray in Atlanta

Advanced Taster

I'm interested to see Bulleit near the top of several lists here. Haven't tried it, but have been meaning to pick up a bottle of that as well as a WT 101 Rye.

The only ryes that I've had have been VWFRR and Baby Saz - the VWFRR is one of my favorite whiskies on the planet. The Baby Saz was rather mild and somewhat disappointing. On the other hand, it fit perfectly into a sazerac cocktail (made with Vieux Carre absinthe) so I was none-to-upset to polish off the bottle.