Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 50
  1. #31
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Manheim, PA 17545
    Posts
    725

    Re: Wild turkey Russells reserve rye vs WT rye 101

    Ray- Yes, the Michter's I have is the basic stuff, not the 10yo stuff. It is a bit thin for the price. I wasn't real happy with it to be honest.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

  2. #32
    Taster
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    59

    Re: Wild turkey Russells reserve rye vs WT rye 101

    After many months of playing around with all these new ryes that we seem to have suddenly on the market (never mind that most of them are from two distilleries: LDI and Alberta), I decided to go back to the rye that brought me to the party, so to speak. Tonight I went back to Wild Turkey 101 rye and Russell's Reserve rye. The WT 101 was like getting back in touch with an old friend. I like it as much as I always did before and I must say that I think it is still the best value available in whiskey. Yes, I said whiskey including bourbon, because for around $20 (here in Atlanta) I challenge anyone to find a better whiskey. I tried the Russell's Reserve rye after the WT 101 rye and while it is much smoother, until they up the proof to 101 (where all WT should be) I don't think it compares to the WT 101 rye especially considering the price difference. The bottom line is that while I like many of the new ryes on the market, especially the Bulleit rye, I will always be sure to have a bottle of WT 101 rye open and at the ready!
    Slainte mhath

    Ray in Atlanta

  3. #33
    Taster
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    59

    Re: Wild turkey Russells reserve rye vs WT rye 101

    Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    Ray- Yes, the Michter's I have is the basic stuff, not the 10yo stuff. It is a bit thin for the price. I wasn't real happy with it to be honest.
    Ethan,
    After my WT 101 rye vs RR rye, I revisited my dusty bottle of the Michter's US*1 rye. I immediately remembered what turned me off about it with the first sip: it has that burnt cocoa taste that I find in so many Canadian whiskies. I don't know why it is there but I taste it. After letting it sit in the glass for a while this cocoa taste recedes but I am left with a rather thin tasting whiskey without much rye flavor. Someday I'll try the 10 year Straight Rye but until then I don't think I'll go for another Michter's US*1 rye.
    Slainte mhath

    Ray in Atlanta

  4. #34
    Taster
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    59

    Re: Wild turkey Russells reserve rye vs WT rye 101

    Back to the subject at hand, do we know when Wild Turkey started distilling at the new plant? When will the new rye be in the bottle? Since the WT 101 Rye is presumed to be about 4 years old, it should be pretty soon that we will have the new output for that. The Russell's Reserve Rye will be a little later.
    I wonder if we will notice a difference in taste from the new distillery.
    Slainte mhath

    Ray in Atlanta

  5. #35
    Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicagoland, Illinois
    Posts
    1,538

    Re: Wild turkey Russells reserve rye vs WT rye 101

    Quote Originally Posted by HRay View Post
    Back to the subject at hand, do we know when Wild Turkey started distilling at the new plant? When will the new rye be in the bottle? Since the WT 101 Rye is presumed to be about 4 years old, it should be pretty soon that we will have the new output for that. The Russell's Reserve Rye will be a little later.
    I wonder if we will notice a difference in taste from the new distillery.
    The new distillery was officially unveiled on June 21, 2011 but started operations a little before that. The official press release indicates product from the new stills will be available in 2016. Production capacity can be more than doubled from the expansion.

    Back in April I was talking with Jimmy Russell while holding a bottle of 101 Rye in my hand and he commented that he expects a shortage of the product in the near future. I didn't press him for details but you can take that for whatever its worth.
    Thad

    BTOTY-2011

  6. #36
    Taster
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    59

    Re: Wild turkey Russells reserve rye vs WT rye 101

    Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    The new distillery was officially unveiled on June 21, 2011 but started operations a little before that. The official press release indicates product from the new stills will be available in 2016. Production capacity can be more than doubled from the expansion.

    Back in April I was talking with Jimmy Russell while holding a bottle of 101 Rye in my hand and he commented that he expects a shortage of the product in the near future. I didn't press him for details but you can take that for whatever its worth.
    I think it's too bad that they are tearing down the old plant but I guess that's progress....

    When Jimmy Russell referred to a shortage do you think he was only referring to the rye or the bourbon as well? Interestingly, I was at a Heaven Hill tasting a while back at Prohibition (a faux speakeasy here in Atlanta) and while we were talking about how difficult it is to find Rittenhouse BIB, the guy doing the tasting mentioned that he "had heard" that Wild Turkey was going to stop making rye. I thought this was ridiculous with rye growing in popularity and I pressed him about it. I went out and bought two cases just in case he was right. Sure enough a few weeks later all the WT rye here in Atlanta ran out! For a couple of months we were all out but it eventually came back and now there is plenty. Coincidently we never ran out of the Russell's Reserve rye during all that time.
    Slainte mhath

    Ray in Atlanta

  7. #37
    Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicagoland, Illinois
    Posts
    1,538

    Re: Wild turkey Russells reserve rye vs WT rye 101

    Quote Originally Posted by HRay View Post
    When Jimmy Russell referred to a shortage do you think he was only referring to the rye or the bourbon as well? ...
    He was specifically just referring to the rye and I can't imagine any reason at all why they would stop distilling rye which they only spend 3 to 4 days doing anyway. Chuck Cowdery wrote a good blog piece on the mirage of the rye revival last year too http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2010/06/rye-ality.html
    Thad

    BTOTY-2011

  8. #38
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    downtown DC
    Posts
    695

    Re: Wild turkey Russells reserve rye vs WT rye 101

    Finally killed my bottle of RR Rye. My feelings were much in line with several that were voiced on this thread, though I hadn't read it before tonight - namely, that's it's just too low in proof.

    I loved the dryness of the rye flavors, which I usually find in much older ryes. It also had a honey sweetness at the beginning that made the dryness more of a pleasant surprise, though I wouldn't mind if it were less sweet. It just tasted like I added too much water to a great whiskey, i.e. MY WORST NIGHTMARE. Also, it had a sour note that I have had in other ryes, but which was more pronounced in this one. Not a repeat purchase.

  9. #39
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Suburbs of Houston, Texas
    Posts
    502

    Re: Wild turkey Russells reserve rye vs WT rye 101

    I also prefer WT Rye 101 to the RR Rye. To my taste, the RR Rye almost tastes just like a high-rye bourbon but not as good as WT 101 bourbon. The WT Rye has this wonderful creamy, smooth, vanilla and spice character.

  10. #40
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southeastern Michigan
    Posts
    122

    Re: Wild turkey Russells reserve rye vs WT rye 101

    Quote Originally Posted by weller_tex View Post
    I also prefer WT Rye 101 to the RR Rye. To my taste, the RR Rye almost tastes just like a high-rye bourbon but not as good as WT 101 bourbon. The WT Rye has this wonderful creamy, smooth, vanilla and spice character.
    I like the Rittenhouse Rye 100 proof, it makes a great Manhattan. Unfortunately, Rittenhouse Rye 100 proof is no longer being sold here in Michigan. (Another example of the archaic regulations and system in Michigan that limit the selection, availability, and pricing of spirits in the state.) My next purchase will be the Wild Turkey Rye 101.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Wild Turkey 12 year and Russel's Reserve 101
    By Enoch in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-10-2010, 01:21

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top