Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Connoisseur

Re: Wild turkey Russells reserve rye vs WT rye 101

Rittenhouse 100 is hard to find at times in the Houston area as well. Not very common. I like it OK, but it's style does not suit me as well as other ryes.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    According to an interview with Jimmy Russell a few years back the Turkey Rye 101 is aged 4 years. Curious that it was 4 yrs even back when the stated age on the Bourbon 101 was 8 yrs.
    Jimmy and Eddie talked about this at a tasting at Julio's in MA last night. They both felt that rye peaks earlier than bourbon -- hence 6yo RR rye vs. 10yo RR bourbon.

The new WT81 rye will have older juice than 4 years.
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Advanced Taster

This week, I tried both of these for the first time. I like both of them alot! But, for my palate, Ritt BIB and Baby Saz are slightly more interesting pours. The RR was a great sipper for sure...one of the easiest sipping ryes I've ever tried, but I think I could be bored with it. The WT 101 rye was a bit more brash and rough around the edges compared to the RR, but I still liked it. I agree with others that a RR BIB proof would be nice to try.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
    This week, I tried both of these for the first time. I like both of them alot! But, for my palate, Ritt BIB and Baby Saz are slightly more interesting pours. The RR was a great sipper for sure...one of the easiest sipping ryes I've ever tried, but I think I could be bored with it. The WT 101 rye was a bit more brash and rough around the edges compared to the RR, but I still liked it. I agree with others that a RR BIB proof would be nice to try.
    Noticing your location: when talking about the WT rye, Jimmy kept saying that in his day nobody would drink a rye from Kentucky -- rye had to come from Pennsylvania or Maryland (as it stands, they get their grain from Germany!)
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by StraightBoston View Post
    Jimmy and Eddie talked about this at a tasting at Julio's in MA last night. They both felt that rye peaks earlier than bourbon -- hence 6yo RR rye vs. 10yo RR bourbon.
    So I guess they also think that the RR bourbon tastes better at 90 proof than 101.

Advanced Taster

Noticing your location: when talking about the WT rye, Jimmy kept saying that in his day nobody would drink a rye from Kentucky -- rye had to come from Pennsylvania or Maryland (as it stands, they get their grain from Germany!)
    Do I understand that you're saying that Jimmy Russell and Wild Turkey sources its rye grain from Germany? Why wouldn't they use domestic grain - and is this common with other domestic whiskey distillers?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by gblick View Post
    So I guess they also think that the RR bourbon tastes better at 90 proof than 101.
    I understand the sarcasm here and would certainly prefer to see RR at 101 proof, but I believe they are correct about rye. That Willett 4 year rye is mighty good stuff.

Disciple

The new WT81 rye will have older juice than 4 years.
    It may peak earlier at a younger age, but when it comes to the ultra-age category, I can't get enough years on Rye.

For my general preferences:

Rye-recipe Bourbon: 8 to 12 years.

Wheaters: 10 to 20 years.

Rye: 18 to who knows how long. I have a Hirsch 25yr that's amazing!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    It may peak earlier at a younger age, but when it comes to the ultra-age category, I can't get enough years on Rye.

For my general preferences:

Rye-recipe Bourbon: 8 to 12 years.

Wheaters: 10 to 20 years.

Rye: 18 to who knows how long. I have a Hirsch 25yr that's amazing!
    I think something that really differentiates rye from most bourbons is that it presents itself well even young (under 4 years old) and it wears extra aging very well. Bourbons, by and large, seem to do will in the middle of the age gamut.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    I think something that really differentiates rye from most bourbons is that it presents itself well even young (under 4 years old) and it wears extra aging very well. Bourbons, by and large, seem to do will in the middle of the age gamut.
    Exactly! Well said!