Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Post Re: Best mid priced beginner bourbon

"When I was first starting out, one of the first few bourbons I got was Buffalo Trace. I thought it was a good starting bourbon because it was smooth, fairly straightforward noes and taste, and at 90 proof, its a baby step toward the higher proofs. It's not a sexy pick, but a solid one. Also, congrats on having a friend who wants to spend money on bourbon" -tehbeardman
    Looking back on it, I may have given Buffalo Trace a little lower of a rating than it deserves (a 7.5/10 when it's closer to an 8). Buffalo Trace is good sippin' and great for mixing.

I included my review; Feel free to take a look if you got the time:
    http://www.awhiskeydrink.com/search/...uffalo%20Trace

I came across Buffalo Trace as an alternative to Makers Mark for mixed drinks and a value brand. It came highly recommended by bluekitchen.com and did not disappoint. Buffalo Trace succeeds by being good at what it is, an above average Bourbon. Sure it scored a 7.5, but Buffalo Trace is not competing against 20 year old Pappy Van Winkle or 18 year old Single-Malt Scotch
    Buffalo Trace, formerly named Ancient Age, got its name from a trail crossing where buffalo once forded the river, the Great Buffalo Trace. Since 1857 the distillery has garnered a reputation for experimenting with ages and woods. Their straight Whiskey is pronounced in vanilla and oak (Maclean).

taste - warm up front, smooth, with a burn of the back end; understated, caramel, roasted vanilla sugar, pine, citrus oil (but not oily), bark.

smell - slight metallic, oak, wood, cooked sugar, vanilla, spice.

look - copper rust, worn brass.

rating - 7.5

price - $20 - $30

Cheers,
    Swift

Work Cited
    MacLean, Charles. World Whiskey. New York: DK, 2009. Print.
    Last edited by awhiskeydrink; 03-04-2011 at 10:04.

Virtuoso

Re: Best mid priced beginner bourbon

awhiskeydrink-

If you liked kentucky spirit, perhaps you should try an older bottling. Heck, I read your rating and I think perhaps you did... because the current stuff really isn't all that great in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Re: Best mid priced beginner bourbon

ErichPryde,

Sorry it took me a bit to get back with you, Iíve been swamp by work and school. I believe my bottle of Kentucky Spirit is about 1 1/2 old. If it were not for me sampling so many, thereís no way it would have lasted that long. My father-in-law is always snatching the stuff

You say the latest batch isnít as good. Mind if I cite you? Maybe Iíll buy a new bottle and conduct another taste test for everyone here. Itís be very interesting, and a real disappointment if Wild Turkey fell off with this premium lable.

Thanks for the great reply.