Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33
  1. #21
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    328

    Re: Best mid priced beginner bourbon

    Save your money! A fantastic beginner bourbon is Weller 12 year old. Great price, pretty bottle, dead smooth, but not as boring as Maker's Mark.

  2. #22
    Novice
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South Metro Atlanta
    Posts
    24

    Re: Best mid priced beginner bourbon

    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, to me mid price Bourbon/Rye is under $20.
    Well, I think a tad higher, $25 or so, but still...at that price range, Buffalo Trace or Weller's Antique.

  3. #23
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    362

    Re: Best mid priced beginner bourbon

    Quote Originally Posted by darkluna View Post
    $50 is mid-priced? I usually have to think long and hard about throwing down that much for a bottle (although I have many times).
    I'll change my statement to "moderately priced/good value for the 25-50$ range."

  4. #24
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Napoleon, MI
    Posts
    7,449

    Re: Best mid priced beginner bourbon

    Quote Originally Posted by dmarkle View Post
    Save your money! A fantastic beginner bourbon is Weller 12 year old. Great price, pretty bottle, dead smooth, but not as boring as Maker's Mark.
    For a beginner that's a good place to start.
    ovh

  5. #25
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    264

    Re: Best mid priced beginner bourbon

    I still have never seen a weller 12 on the shelf. Living is north Alabama is not fun, but never saw these in all my Georgia and Tennessee stores...even on my recent trip through Kentucky up to Lexington.

  6. #26
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    1,722

    Re: Best mid priced beginner bourbon

    As far as Binny's bottlings go I would lean towards the ETL and the BT as being their best selections that they currently have available. Seeing that he is just getting started with bourbon I would get him something that is a little sweeter and lower proof...IMO I would go with a wheater...Weller 12, Maker's 46, and VW Lot B IMO all would be very good choices in the $25-$50 range and available at Binny's.
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

  7. #27
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    678

    Re: Best mid priced beginner bourbon

    Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    As far as Binny's bottlings go I would lean towards the ETL and the BT as being their best selections that they currently have available. Seeing that he is just getting started with bourbon I would get him something that is a little sweeter and lower proof...IMO I would go with a wheater...Weller 12, Maker's 46, and VW Lot B IMO all would be very good choices in the $25-$50 range and available at Binny's.
    What Bob said.

  8. #28
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    221

    Re: Best mid priced beginner bourbon

    Quote Originally Posted by autiger23 View Post
    I still have never seen a weller 12 on the shelf. Living is north Alabama is not fun, but never saw these in all my Georgia and Tennessee stores...even on my recent trip through Kentucky up to Lexington.
    Same here. We hear legends of Weller 12, but have yet to find it.

    Autiger, you couldn't even find it in KY?
    "Brown eyed women and red grenadine...
    the bottle was dusty but the liquor was clean." -Jerry Garcia

  9. #29
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    12,368

    Re: Best mid priced beginner bourbon

    Trying to remember the last time I saw Weller 12 locally, it was here, of that I'm sure, but how long ago I'm not. Curious because we get Weller Reserve, Antique, most of the Van Winkle line (limited supply) and the Antique Collection (also limited), in addition to BT.

  10. #30
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    264

    Re: Best mid priced beginner bourbon

    Not while I was up there, I only hit the bigger superstores though which might have been the problem.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Eyes Wide Open Rye Tasting Results: A Tale of Three Moderately Priced Ryes
    By CorvallisCracker in forum Other American Whiskey Tastings
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-29-2008, 18:10
  2. Good rye for a beginner?
    By emr454 in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-09-2007, 16:53
  3. beginner reccomendations
    By Arrowhead in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-27-2004, 18:36
  4. 3 Bourbons for a beginner..
    By cap in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-31-2004, 02:37
  5. What is the highest priced 23 year olds bourbon?
    By gunnerisac in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-19-2002, 10:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top