Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

MB Roland distillery?

Just read about these guys on Spirits Journal.

http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/kl...-tastings.html

Then I had to laugh because Val pulled out this set of products from the new, craft Kentucky distillery called MB Roland. They make some interesting spirits and when I saw the baked apple pie whiskey I just started laughing, thinking he can't be serious! But he was, and MAN! is that stuff good. It's like the Godiva chocolate vodka where if you act like you don't like it, you're obviously lying. Just admit that it's actually delicious! Here are my notes for the products I'll be bringing in:

MB Roland Distillery Apple Pie Kentucky Shine 375ml 16.99 - Made of corn and sugar cane distillate, apple cider, spices, and brown sugar (nothing synthetic), this is everything the name says it is and everything you hope it will be - baked apple pie flowing creamy smooth over your palate, not too sweet, not overly cloying. There's nothing more I can say other than this product is really really good. It's not something to breakdown flavorwise, or analyze the complexity. It's meant to drink as a dessert and to have fun with. If you let your guard down, you're in for a very tasty time.

MB Roland Distillery Black Dog Kentucky Corn Whiskey 375ml $19.99 - The white corn distillate from a small Kentucky distillery is made by roasting the white corn in a miniature tobacco barn, giving it smoky and spice flavor similar to an Islay-style whisky. Lots of toasty, earthy, concentrated flavor and very interesting. Great for sipping or for exotic cocktails.

MB Roland Distillery Kentucky Lemonade 375ml $16.99 - An all natural hard lemonade made from a sugar cane and corn distillate base with only lemon juice and sugar added to give it flavor. This is super high end stuff and packs a punch at 22% alcohol but you'd never know it. Watch out because this is a super party in a bottle that can really wallop an unsuspecting drinker!

MB Roland Distillery White Dog Kentucky Corn Whiskey 375ml $15.99 - Delicious corn white whiskey from all locally grown Kentucky white corn. Flavorful and more interesting than the standard white whiskies on the domestic market. Fun for sipping or for cocktail mixing. Can't wait until they start aging it!
    And here is the distillery website:

http://mbrdistillery.com/default.aspx

Anyone know anything about this or maybe tried any of their products?

Disciple

Re: MB Roland distillery?

Know nothing about the distillery but on the TV show Justified last night, which is based in KY, an underground shine maker was getting people to taste her apple pie shine.

I had never heard of that.

"Apple Pie Kentucky Shine"

~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Connoisseur

The Party Source carries a few of their products.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainQ View Post
    The Party Source carries a few of their products.
    Oh really? I just may have to explore this a little further...thanks!

Guru

Seem genuine from the website, It just makes sense to first provide mixing whisky.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Here's the link to what Jay wrote about them on the Party Source web site. I have a lot of respect for both Jay Erisman at Party Source and David Driscoll at K&L and I have had a little bit of contact with Paul Tomaszewski and his wife. I seem to recall seeing something about them in the Louisville paper or someplace like that. I have not tasted any of their products but they're a real microdistillery, not a Potemkin. I can verify that.

Trippah and Admin

These guys were at one of the tasting sessions at Liquor World during the festival last year. I tasted the black dog and white dog and my only recollection is that they gave me heartburn just like 99% of the other unaged whiskey that I have sampled.
    Last edited by callmeox; 02-17-2011 at 15:36. Reason: typos abound!
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Here's the link to what Jay wrote about them on the Party Source web site. I have a lot of respect for both Jay Erisman at Party Source and David Driscoll at K&L and I have had a little bit of contact with Paul Tomaszewski and his wife. I seem to recall seeing something about them in the Louisville paper or someplace like that. I have not tasted any of their products but they're a real microdistillery, not a Potemkin. I can verify that.
    Paul is a good guy and his distillery is legit. They are doing quite a few "sweet" products and are emphasizing their distillery as a destination (the giftshop is located in a historic home). Paul and his wife have visited us and we have shared "wisdom" quite a few times. I have been meaning to catch up with him for several months now, but haven't had the chance.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Guru

And they are between here and the sampler, hmm.

Disciple

Paul was in the store last week. Real nice guy, and solid juice IMO. Can't wait to taste some of the aged stuff.