Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Novice

Re: MB Roland distillery?

Thanks much for the positive remarks, I definitely take them as compliments considering the audience. Although I have gained a substantial appreciation for our white dog/black dog whiskies, I (like most of you) do get more excited about the aged products. Here's a quick rundown on our current projects, and the usual suspects (Party Source, Binny's, K&L, etc.) will be the first to get some once we begin distributing them:

Bourbon - made with white corn and some rye (sorry for you wheaters, but I like some spice in my bourbon).

Malt - A "backwards bourbon," basically our bourbon mash bill, corn and malt flipped, still aged in new, charred oak.

Black Patch - my personal favorite, think American Scotch (if that's not a contradiction!), but no peat. It's the Black Dog aged in well-used barrels, providing a wonderful balance of the smoke and some not-too strong honey influences from the oak. We did a "Black Dog Bourbon," but it was a bit too much competition between the smoke and the new, charred oak imho.

Barrel Aged Kentucky Shine - this is the "moonshine" aged in used bourbon barrels, so it's technically not a whiskey as we use sugar in the mash. Locals around here call it "Christmas Whiskey." The nose is of apple peels and cotton candy... still waiting on the feds to approve the particulars before we can sell it.

Finally, for those who are in the area, come by the distillery and have a taste, we are a pretty simple operation and it's mainly me and the wife running things. We are doing a tasting at The Party Source on 4 March with Andrew Webber from Corsair, should be a good time and I'm hoping to bring by some aged product to sample.

Enthusiast

Thanks for stopping by and giving us the scoop, Paul! I was in Hopkinsville for work last month and did not learn about MBR until the week after. If I'm ever in the area again, I'll have to stop in. Best of luck and welcome to the board!

Advanced Taster

Sounds awesome, Paul.

I know we're always happy here to have distillers drop by for inside info.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulT View Post
    Thanks much for the positive remarks, I definitely take them as compliments considering the audience. Although I have gained a substantial appreciation for our white dog/black dog whiskies, I (like most of you) do get more excited about the aged products. Here's a quick rundown on our current projects, and the usual suspects (Party Source, Binny's, K&L, etc.) will be the first to get some once we begin distributing them:

Bourbon - made with white corn and some rye (sorry for you wheaters, but I like some spice in my bourbon).

Malt - A "backwards bourbon," basically our bourbon mash bill, corn and malt flipped, still aged in new, charred oak.

Black Patch - my personal favorite, think American Scotch (if that's not a contradiction!), but no peat. It's the Black Dog aged in well-used barrels, providing a wonderful balance of the smoke and some not-too strong honey influences from the oak. We did a "Black Dog Bourbon," but it was a bit too much competition between the smoke and the new, charred oak imho.

Barrel Aged Kentucky Shine - this is the "moonshine" aged in used bourbon barrels, so it's technically not a whiskey as we use sugar in the mash. Locals around here call it "Christmas Whiskey." The nose is of apple peels and cotton candy... still waiting on the feds to approve the particulars before we can sell it.

Finally, for those who are in the area, come by the distillery and have a taste, we are a pretty simple operation and it's mainly me and the wife running things. We are doing a tasting at The Party Source on 4 March with Andrew Webber from Corsair, should be a good time and I'm hoping to bring by some aged product to sample.
    Maybe we can stop by during the KBF
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Connoisseur

I have been in contact with paul and can say they are truly what a craft distillery should be, and are on the right track.

Guru

Welcome aboard Paul, both your presence and input are appreciated.

Advanced Taster

Thanks for the feedback. The "Black Patch" sounds very interesting.

Guru

What I like about MBR and the few tastes I've had of their products is that they are trying different things... not just producing under-aged, "me-too" products. I'm looking forward to meeting Paul and tasting more of his wares at the PS tasting on 3/4.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

Thanks for posting, Paul! Keep up the good work and I look forward to tasting your stuff!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog