Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Leopold Bros, Maryland-Style Rye Whiskey

I was lucky enough to turn up a bottle of this rye a few days ago. As others have said, it's quite unique. At first sniff and taste it reminded me of Redbreast. But the fruit and chocolate flavors really set it apart from any other American whiskey I've had. There's green apple, black tea and -- again, as others have noted -- a blast of cocoa (even more than in the 25 YO Willett bottling of a few years ago that was my previous benchmark for chocotastic whiskey). For a young rye, the sheer number of flavors is remarkable -- I base this on other young whiskies I like, including the Party Source Willett 3 YO bourbon and the various young Willett ryes, which are great but pretty one-note. And equally important, taken as a whole it's delicious stuff. It's not just "interesting" or "different"; the flavors work together to make an enjoyable whole.

From reading this thread I understand that the Leopold's didn't want the effects of aging to overwhelm the flavors in this whiskey. I can respect that, but am also very anxious to try this whiskey at a more advanced age and perhaps a slightly higher proof. It tastes and feels a bit thin, if that makes any sense. But the fact that such a young rye at just 43% is so striking is really impressive.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by mrviognier View Post
    I bought a case of this when it was released. VERY tasty stuff. I'd be willing to trade a bottle or two to SBers who can't find it. Feel free to PM me.
    That's quite kind of you to offer, thank you. (big fan of the Western Oat from your shop, btw)

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by MrAtomic View Post
    It tastes and feels a bit thin, if that makes any sense. But the fact that such a young rye at just 43% is so striking is really impressive.
    It does make sense, and I would agree. Its flavors/aromas are fairly gentle when compared to some.

We'll have the BIB out in 3+ years. Perhaps that will be more to your liking. Appreciate the interest.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold View Post
    It does make sense, and I would agree. Its flavors/aromas are fairly gentle when compared to some.

We'll have the BIB out in 3+ years. Perhaps that will be more to your liking. Appreciate the interest.
    While I'm certainly looking forward to the BIB, I hope you noticed that I referred to your Maryland Style Rye as "delicious stuff" and enthused over the flavors of black tea, apples, and cocoa in the whiskey. Yes, I'm curious to try it in a few more years, but as it stands, I'm very happy with my purchase and think you've made a terrific rye. If I saw another bottle, I'd buy it.

Advanced Taster

I did indeed! I didn't mean to sound negative. I was just in agreement with what you tasted in the whiskey.

Understand that this is quite rewarding for a distiller. It's nice when someone likes your work, but when they pick out what you're trying to accomplish in the finished whiskey it's particularly rewarding. Whether they care for these attributes isn't as important, as we all have different preferences.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold View Post
    That's quite kind of you to offer, thank you. (big fan of the Western Oat from your shop, btw)
    Gotta spread the wealth...and the love. Thank YOU, and keep up the great work.
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY

Enthusiast

I bought a case of this when it was released. VERY tasty stuff. I'd be willing to trade a bottle or two to SBers who can't find it. Feel free to PM me.
    You know what I love about distillers? When one offers to supply customers with another distiller's product. That speaks volumes about the congeniality of the trade to me.

Guru

A very kind offer indeed! I have reached out to my local distributor and will continue to pester, umm, thoughtfully request they try to bring some to Atlanta in the Fall. They are pretty good about doing what they can so I will see how it goes.

If I am not successful then I guess I will again be looking for other options!

Advanced Taster

I just turned up another bottle of Leopold Bros. Maryland Style Rye. If anyone is having trouble finding one of their own, let me know via PM and we can work out a trade.

Enthusiast

Based on the comments here, I grabbed a couple bottles. Upon tasting, I agree with the earlier comments, both that this is a very delicious drink today, and that I look forward to the BIB version that can perhaps stand up better when mixed. I didn't get everything the MrAtomic got, but that is most likely a deficiency in my palate rather than an error in his....although I will keep trying to pick those flavors out; even if I have to drink the whole bottle.