Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Van Winkle bottles....Spring allocation

Just found out our State may have an allocation of four cases.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by chefnash51 View Post
    Where did you see that it's the last release of the 20? SW closed in 92, so 20 years would bring us to 2012, not taking in consideration on Julian bottling a bunch to allocate out years after, as he is doing with the 15 year.

It was quoted on their facebook page by whomever is running it. I would assume it was Preston as he mentioned at one time he was going to be adding a page to facebook.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by autiger23 View Post
    It was quoted on their facebook page by whomever is running it. I would assume it was Preston as he mentioned at one time he was going to be adding a page to facebook.

not doubting you saw it, but I couldn't find that post on FB. And I have a hard time thinking that to be true. Here's hoping it's not. Cheers!
    -Kevin

"Why? Because it's delicious!"

Bourbon always did make me feel like a Giant.

Connoisseur

Here in CT the pricing was usually around:
    PVW 15 - $69
    PVW 20 - $110

I love the 20 and feel it's worth the extra coin to acquire some
    I feel lucky - in NY the 15 can be had for $55. - $60. and the 20 for $100. - $105.
    And yes, for $55. I did buy the last of the 15s from the store. A quote from the
    BourbonDork: "It won't be any cheaper than it is today." I'm trying to convince
    myself to grab the 20s while I can.

I look forward to the Spring release of the 15s and will get all I can afford.
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.

Enthusiast

not doubting you saw it, but I couldn't find that post on FB. And I have a hard time thinking that to be true. Here's hoping it's not. Cheers!
    Go read down some under the poster's name "Chai Vang"...says it clearly there.

Enthusiast

I was reading down the page the other day and saw this as well. It looks like someone either made a mistake or said something they shouldn't have because it's been deleted. Someone specifically asked about any of the PVW stuff being SW. The reply mentioned the 15 was and that this would be last year of the 20.

The comment was located underneath the 3rd post from the top. It was in response to "Bob Albano"s questions about when the juice comes from. This where the comment was made. It was in between the 4th and 5th comment where whoever runs their page replied with "the 15 is still SW juice but this is the last year of the 20 year."

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by bourbonNOOG View Post
    I was reading down the page the other day and saw this as well. It looks like someone either made a mistake or said something they shouldn't have because it's been deleted. Someone specifically asked about any of the PVW stuff being SW. The reply mentioned the 15 was and that this would be last year of the 20.

The comment was located underneath the 3rd post from the top. It was in response to "Bob Albano"s questions about when the juice comes from. This where the comment was made. It was in between the 4th and 5th comment where whoever runs their page replied with "the 15 is still SW juice but this is the last year of the 20 year."
    right, I have little doubt that this isn't the last of the 20 year van winkle. If it was, they wouldn't have deleted that.
    -Kevin

"Why? Because it's delicious!"

Bourbon always did make me feel like a Giant.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by bourbonNOOG View Post

Hmm...I don't remember seeing that they said this was the last year of Pappy 20. They talked about the ORVW 15 and how that used to be the package before it was changed to Pappy 15 but there was no mention of the 20yr going away.
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

right, I have little doubt that this isn't the last of the 20 year van winkle. If it was, they wouldn't have deleted that.
    It's not deleted I just read it

"Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery All 20 & 23 year old Pappy is still S-W. This is the last year of the 20yr.
    February 18 at 8:16am"

I'd have to think that is an error, or they're trying to drive up demand for the 20 year some.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

If they are discontinuing the 20 it is so they can continue the 23 for a little bit longer. Perhaps in terms of the prices they can get, taking the 20 off the market and using that stock to support the 23 may be more profitable. Perhaps discontinuing one or the other was inevitable. After all, every drop of S-W that they sell as Pappy 15 is whiskey that will never turn 20 or 23. It's about maximizing that finite resource.

I don't know if it's true or not, but it's very plausible.