Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

New VOB bottles same as the old?

I was just wondering if anyone has tried the new VOB bottles next to the old ones? Slight differences? Or is it the same juice?

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: New VOB bottles same as the old?

I have, and did not detect any differences in the whiskey.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Advanced Taster

Glad to hear that, Joe.

Haven't seen any new bottles on the shelf here in E. TN, and stores stock a ton of VOB. I sure hope they don't change the whiskey...it's a terrific standby.
    Gotta make it somehow on the dreams you still believe...

Guru

Barton has been one of my standbys for years and I haven't noticed any change.

Guru

No change whatsoever, as far as I can tell. Just a new look to draw in new consumers.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

I hope they remain the same but wouldn't be surprised if the line loses the 43 and 45% bottles.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I hope they remain the same but wouldn't be surprised if the line loses the 43 and 45% bottles.
    I don't have much use for the 80 and 86 proof VOB but the 90 and BIB are regular pours for me, so I'd hate to see either of those go. Of course, the BIB with a dash of water always satisfies my buddies who don't like the higher proof.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I'm just guessing here, but my impression is that 75% to 80% of Barton's volume comes out of Kentcky and even a big shelf set of VOB, like they have at Liquor Barn, will include about the same number of facings for each proof, except 100 which is slightly less than the others. Maybe someone who has been to a Kentucky Liquor Barn recently can confirm or correct. My point is that all of the proofs seem to be about equally popular in the state that amounts to most of their business. That doesn't mean they'll always export all of the different proofs. Since they are still a value product I would expect them to emphasize the 80 proof to get the best possible price point, and since practically everything they're competing against is 80 proof too.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I'm just guessing here, but my impression is that, like they have, will include about. Maybe someone who, my point is that, that doesn't mean they'll, since they are, and since practically everything too.
    You know those things you cant unsee once you think about it?
    If you are aware of the cartoon character Patrick Star from Spongebob Squarepants.. I believe your avatar looks like Patrick holding a glass of bourbon.. Every time i scroll and see one of your comments i see this.

Now.. back to the topic!
    Signature Not Coming Soon to a screen near you.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

It's the same juice for sure. VOB is one of the most consistent brands out there. It will be interesting to see if this continues once the integration with BT really gets going.

Speaking of that, what is the status of the still at Barton, is it still in production?

Gary